Best Guitarist of all time

Who is the Greatest Guitarist of all time?

• Jimi Hendrix

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Eddie Van Halen

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Jimmy Page

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Tony Iommi

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan

• Angus Young

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Slash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric Clapton

• The Edge

• Alex Lifeson

• Duane Allman

• Steve Clark

• Phil Collen

• Vivian Campbell

• Joe Walsh

• Joe Satriani

• Kirk Hammett

• Brian May

• Randy Rhodes

• Keith Richards

• Total voters

Slim Slow Slider

+2,727 posts as TheSound!
Reaction score
Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York City
Did it ever occur to you that the greatest guitar player of all time might not have been a rock and roll guitarist. Just sayin.

Agree with that ^^^^ - so maybe greatest 'rock' guitarist would be a better title, question here, because for me at least almost certainly the most technically gifted and skillful player is probably a classical guitarist, and not from 'rock' at all, somebody like Andres Segovia or Julian Bream, so I wouldn't even come close to voting for any of the above, though Jimi Hendrix was the only one of the above who was IMO a proven genius. Though this is a rock forum, so we know what the guy who posted this is getting at, so maybe I'm just being slightly anal here!!! Though there's no real litmus test for this, so it all comes down to a personal preference, I'd say Steve Hackett is the guy I personally rate highest in the 'rock' field, but you could go on any 'grunge' or 'punk' forum, and post a similar poll, and you'd get 20 people voting for Curt Cobain for every one person who votes for Jimmy Page, so there's never anything scientific or relevant about debates like this. I mean I love Keith Richard and The Edge's music, but you could get 20 guys from local pub bands in any medium size city, and frankly both of them would be lucky to even make it into the Top 10 if they had a 'Battle of the Guitarists' one night.

Last edited:

JimJam

Reaction score
I don't agree with calling a guitarist the "greatest" or "best." My favorite is Hendrix.

~Banshee~

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
From the list I'd have to vote for who I listen to most, Joe Satriani

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
The list has all the best of Rolling Stone magazine votes.. And all have earned their chops. BUT.... I think a guitarist can hit you to the soul if they can play music that inspires you. So I'm going to give vote to Robin Trower who's not on the list due to probably lack of FM airtime.. Also Ozzy's Zakk Wilde blows me away with his fast fingers.. And if you really want to compare someone who shreds like a pro is Yngwie Malmsteen.
I know too many guitarist who didn't make the list. But hat's off to the guy who mentioned Frank Zappa..:bow:

mrJim

Reaction score
Wow hard to pick one as the greatest all time from that list.

In my opinion link wray and jack white should be higher on the list.

Jim

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online