Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

Trevor Smith

Reaction score
Legs Diamond’s stuff has been re-released by the good folk at Rock Candy Records here in the U.K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old School

Reaction score
i've thought of two real biggies, for me anyway.

wishbone ash
golden earring.

both have literally album upon album of primo material, and both are almost entirely ignored (altho golden earring has quite the following in europe.)

i've been knowing about wishbone ash since the beginning of my pre-teen music fetish... but golden earring, apart from the two radio hits radar love and twilight zone, was a band i didn't truly discover til a few years ago.

lemme tell ya what a wunnerful~~and wunnerfully rare~~feeling it is to (a) find a band that kicks ass consistently in all the right classic rocky ways, and then (b) find you've got at least 20 albums worth of undiscovered music from that band that you have yet to explore.

sniffff.

kath
switchin aint no criiiiime...

Old School

Reaction score
Good job on this one. Golden Earring is one of my favorites ever. I have a good one for you guys on the heavier side of rock. How about Budgie?! Those guys kicked some serious butt!!

Bigdawg62

Reaction score
Stray and Budgie.
Stray never made it but are still around. They made some classic albums. Check out their first album and Saturday morning pictures. Both are classics
As for budgie, they are just about my favourite band. They should have made it big but internal politics and egos stopped all that.
Budgie made five excellent albums in the first incarnation and then made the classic, power supply, on their return.

don1960lp

Reaction score
Haven't scrolled through the entire thread but I'll add Montrose. Their 1973 debut was so groundbreaking and either consciously, or subconsciously influenced so many of the heavier bands back then. Was also a bit of a blueprint for the sound of 1978's VH1 - seeing as Ted Templeton worked on both.

shewins

Reaction score
OK, here's a pretty obscure one, and I bet nobody's mentioned it. There was a guy named Bob Frank who put out a great album of the same name on Vanguard Records in 1972. That first record got great critical acclaim, then he seemed to drop off the planet. He has resurfaced, and made some more records, but does anybody remember this?

Arkie

Reaction score
^^^^Yes and no and Paul Di'Anno suct maidens arse.

Savoy Brown, Kim Simmons buried that name/band . The tumultuous ego.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Ok, my contribution to this thread is Legs Diamond -- although they seemed to me to be a 70's band that never made it out of the Hollywood club scene. The music section of the L.A. Times always had them playing the two biggest clubs in Hollywood (The Whisky and The Roxy) rather than as an opening act at the two biggest venues in SoCal at the time (The L.A. Forum or The Sports Arena). So maybe they really aren't one of the "best forgotten bands of the 70's". Instead, maybe they're just a 70's band that is best forgotten. They never had anyone big time and famous in their lineup, but I still think they still recorded some catchy rock tunes that, if nothing else, got some airtime on the local rock radio station out here.

I like their version of Teaser. :)

Edit: I take that back, I like all three of those songs! I don't think I've ever heard of these guys. They sound damn good. I'm going to have to search out more of their stuff now.

Thanks Dave! :cheers:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online