Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

billtjr51

Reaction score
I was just looking up Nitzinger on Amazon and found out he was the leader of Bloodrock. Learn something new every day! He put out several albums under the name Nitzinger and John Nitzinger(which is of course his name).I had his first two albums years ago, and they have long been lost.

runtfan

Reaction score
How about Nitzinger. They cut 2 albums that I know of. Very good guitarist!

John Nitzinger's from the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and has been playing around here for a long time, until the last couple of years anyway. He's in pretty poor health these days. He's had a couple of strokes and is battling cancer.
Our Zeppelin tribute band played at a benefit show for him last year with a few other bands. He was there, but looked pretty frail and old (understandable, I guess).
The general concensus, from lots of people I've met who know him, is that he's an arrogant *****, probably fueled by long time alcohol and cocaine abuse. Good guitarist, and well respected for it, but also a giant asshole.
I've met him a couple of times and haven't spent enough time with him to really know, but I'm just telling you what everybody else says.

billtjr51

Reaction score
The general concensus, from lots of people I've met who know him, is that he's an arrogant *****, probably fueled by long time alcohol and cocaine abuse. Good guitarist, and well respected for it, but also a giant asshole

Wow, I hate to hear that and also his bad health. I lived in Austin Tx from 74-77 and went to see him play in a bar in San Marcos, Tx. I remember they were selling long neck Lone Star beer for 25 cents a bottle. He was great(so was the beer). I had seen him in 71 or 72 in Charlotte NC with Leon Russell.

billtjr51

Reaction score
Roy Buchanan is not forgotten among the blues fans, but in this part of the country(NC), the Roy Buchanan fans are few and far between, at least among the people I have talked to.

runtfan

Reaction score
Wow, I hate to hear that and also his bad health. I lived in Austin Tx from 74-77 and went to see him play in a bar in San Marcos, Tx. I remember they were selling long neck Lone Star beer for 25 cents a bottle. He was great(so was the beer). I had seen him in 71 or 72 in Charlotte NC with Leon Russell.

I had second thoughts about posting what I did because I don't really know the guy (I've only met him a couple of times), but he's a local guy and has been playing around here for a long time so I've met a few people who played with him and alot of people who know him, even played in a band with his longtime drummer, and the general feeling is that he plays well, but isn't all that well liked.
I haven't heard anything about his health situation for a long time now.

billtjr51

Reaction score
Maybe his illness has caused him to view life differently now. I copied this off of this website:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32216/cancer_survivor_musician_john_nitzinger.html

John Nitzinger, who has battled cancer and is a professional musician, now, offers a music workshop for children in the summer.

With Nitzinger's Music Factory in Fort Worth, TX classes are offered in July in the mornings for ages 8-12 and in the afternoons for 13-18-year-olds.

"Johnny Nitzinger works to help bring out the emotional beauty and self-expression through the child's own unique and creative talents," reported one local magazine.

Last year a huge group of Nitzinger's friends organized a big fundraiser to help defray medical costs of his cancer for which he underwent surgery for in July. A July 2nd show scheduled for the local Sixth Street Grill was cancelled due to the medical emergency. In August last year Nitzinger also suffered a stroke but has recovered completely after undergoing intense physical therapy. On August 2nd, before his therapy all shows had to be cancelled until further notice. In August the restaurant hosted a birthday party for Nitzinger and owner of the bar.

"There is a superstar in every child," says Nitzinger. "My music factory will strive to set free the superstar in each child."

In his private studio owned by Nitzinger, the world-renowned musician shows off his skills. He teaches guitar, bass, vocals, and songwriting and each lesson is personally attended to. Scholarships are accepted for kids who otherwise would not be able to attend the workshops.

With his band, Texas Rock, Nitzinger is said to be one of the musicians who has shaped the signature sound of Texas rock and blues. According to his website, he has been in rock and roll since the 1970s and on a solo tour shared the stage with legends BB King, Freddie King, and Sly and the Family Stone. In 1982 Nitzinger joined forces with rocker Alice Cooper on the "Special Forces International" and USA tours as guitarist.

One fan, who was also battling cancer last year, sang Nitzinger's praises, having been a fan for years.

"The first time I saw John and the band was at the Dallas Convention Center for ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show' and John was the band," states another fan. "I'll never forget it. What a performance!"

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
I have the first four Bloodrock albums and I don't think Nitzinger was ever actually a member of the band, just the songwriter and perhaps producer.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online