Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

Foggy Hat

Reaction score
These bands were n-o-t forgotten, famous then, famous now;
- ->New Riders of the Purple Sage
- ->Big Brother & The Holding Co.
- ->Three Dog Night
- ->Johnny Winter (was a regular on Saturday-Night-Live tv show !)
- ->The Marshall Tucker Band
- ->Edgar Winter Group (the only one i am "iffy" on this, OK, where is Edgar ?)

Im not so sure about that. i have never heard of New Riders of the Purple Sage, Big Brother & The Holding Co.,or Johnny Winter.
the other ones you are right. but im gonn have to agree with kaoz on the ones i just listed.

TuskCracker

Reaction score
Im not so sure about that. i have never heard of New Riders of the Purple Sage, Big Brother & The Holding Co.,or Johnny Winter.
the other ones you are right. but im gonn have to agree with kaoz on the ones i just listed.

It maybe what period you focused on. Mine is 1969-1977. I graduated High School 1972. That maybe what makes my list different from half of the others.

Example;
Graduated High School; 1972

versus

Graduated High School:1977

billtjr51

Reaction score
the other ones you are right. but im gonn have to agree with kaoz on the ones i just listed

I saw Johnny Winter in concert in 75 and he was great. Also had albums from New Riders, Big Brother, and J. Winter. All were good bands.

KISSFREAK

Reaction score
- ->New Riders of the Purple Sage
- ->Big Brother & The Holding Co.
- ->Three Dog Night
- ->Johnny Winter (was a regular on Saturday-Night-Live tv show !)
- ->The Marshall Tucker Band
- ->Edgar Winter Group (the only one i am "iffy" on this, OK, where is Edgar ?)

I have heard of all of these bands and as far as Edgar Winter goes I saw a picture of him last year and he is no longer the skinny one but i am not sure if he is doing any touring though.

Would 1 hit wonders fit into this thread ???

hab101

Reaction score
No one has mentioned "Badfinger"? They are in my mind, THE most underated band in the world.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Well, Badfinger certainly have one of the most underrated great albums of all time in Straight Up.

It should also be said that they are probably the most ill-fated rock band that ever made it to the big time. Two of their four members hung themselves, and they had about the worst luck with record companies and contracts that one could imagine.

Pete_C

The Dogfather
Reaction score
Well I admit I haven't looked at every post in this thread so maybe they've already been mentioned . . . LITTLE FEAT!

One of the best rock bands of all time in my humble opinion. I remember going to see them as a support band for the Doobie Brothers in London, waaaay back in the 70's. They were so good that the Doobies struggled to get their own set started, such was the applause and calls for encores from the audience.

The untimely demise of Lowell George was one of the saddest pieces of news that I remember. Little Feat were certainly one of the tightest and musically gifted bands around at the time.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a lot of music fans who would crown Little Feat as the best forgotten band of the 70s bar none. I haven't heard near as much of their material as I should, but what I have heard is mighty impressive.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online