Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Lovely thread!
Who's forgotten really? I'm amazed how many seemingly long forgotten bands are still popular somewhere on this planet, mostly Russia.

Two bands immediately came to mind when I read this title:

1. The Sweet
Absolute geniuses of pop/rock with plenty of memorable songs. My personal favourite "Blockbuster" is also one of my two cell phone ringtunes (Biggie's "Hypnotize" being the other, use it only for my wife :D )
They're probably not completely forgotten though.

2. Foghat
Less great, but more forgotten. The amazing thing is that they are still around in some incarnation and released a new album this year. Will be remembered more for their classic hits like "Slow Ride" though.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Hey Beady Eye!
Nice to see someone give The Sweet a nod here.Highly pleasurable,dutifully emotionally satisfying,good time tunes!

deerwan

Play It Loud
Reaction score
When I was young dumb and full of fun, Foghat's first kicked, esp, the opener
'Just Want To Make Love To You' (Rolling Stone even gave it a thumbs up-sorta) LOL
It was a fun listen way back.

Here is one that is probably long forgotten, but a good one. Glen Hughes played with them.

220px-MedusaTrapeze.jpg

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
ROBIN TROWER!
Ten Years After
Mott The Hoople

Alvin Lee is one of the most underrated and overshadowed guitarists in rock history. He should be considered to be higher than what anyone has ranked him on various lists, and some don't even rank him at all. Never saw much of a point in those, anyway. But he and his band deserved far more recognition. Cricklewood Green is a grand album.

Mott the Hoople are legendary, as well. Thankfully, Bowie came along for them when they planned to ultimately split...

Trower... he is also good. Haven't heard as much as I'd like to, sadly.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Diamond Head
April Wine
T.Rex
Budgie
Dave Edmunds
Uriah Heep
Nazareth
Atomic Rooster
Slade
Wishbone Ash
Ram Jam
Mother's Finest
Grand Funk Railroad
Mothers of Invention
Golden Earring (I just listened to Twilight Zone and the bass groove is... groovy)
Midge Ure (with Ultravox, too. They were previously known in the 70s as Tiger Lily, I believe.)
Running Wild
Jim Croce

I was about to say Billy Squier, but realized he was early 1980s.

And okay, I realize some of these might not be totally forgotten, but mostly underrated... and I don't hear much about any of them. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Diamond Head
April Wine
T.Rex
Budgie
Dave Edmunds
Uriah Heep
Nazareth
Atomic Rooster
Slade
Wishbone Ash
Ram Jam
Mother's Finest
Grand Funk Railroad
Mothers of Invention
Golden Earring (I just listened to Twilight Zone and the bass groove is... groovy)
Midge Ure (with Ultravox, too. They were previously known in the 70s as Tiger Lily, I believe.)
Running Wild
Jim Croce

I was about to say Billy Squier, but realized he was early 1980s.

And okay, I realize some of these might not be totally forgotten, but mostly underrated... and I don't hear much about any of them. :p

great list of awesome bands dude...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online