Best album of the 80s?

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Zombeels, that's a great pick! Full Moon Fever. I love Tom Petty!

Yeah, that's my favourite pick in this thread so far, although I like all the albums mentioned!

As for my own pick, I honestly can't narrow a whole decade down to one album.

Mr. Shadow, with all due respect, I just can't understand an opinion like that. Many good albums came out in the 80s, no matter what genre you prefer. Of course, some people are stuck in whatever decade is their favourite and they have every right to be, but I often get the feeling that it's a matter of someone simply not having bothered digging' deeper into said decade (not saying that is the case with you, just a general thought). I always find it odd when people more or less write off a whole decade of music!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that's my favourite pick in this thread so far, although I like all the albums mentioned!

As for my own pick, I honestly can't narrow a whole decade down to one album.

Mr. Shadow, with all due respect, I just can't understand an opinion like that. Many good albums came out in the 80s, no matter what genre you prefer. Of course, some people are stuck in whatever decade is their favourite and they have every right to be, but I often get the feeling that it's a matter of someone simply not having bothered digging' deeper into said decade (not saying that is the case with you, just a general thought). I always find it odd when people more or less write off a whole decade of music!

Depends on what particular genre of music people like. 80s was great for some but terrible for others. Even then though there is good music among it all.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score

Amen. That's why I cannot understand total hate of the 90s either.

gguerra

Reaction score
3655494.jpg

With honorable mention going to Rush: Moving Pictures

Dr. Love

Reaction score
Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
I can't even pick one. Nothing much I want to hear from the 80's.
I'm sure I listen to more 80s than you do, but unlike some others here, I can understand and even appreciate the above sentiment. Going back to the 60s, the 80s is actually my musically least favorite decade. I know I am an oddity for my age because the 80s was late elementary through high school for me. Don't get me wrong. I liked the 80s back in the 80s. But my taste in music began to evolve in 88, and in the 90s I was in college and no longer into most of the 80s artists I had liked. I instead got into different artists and 60s & 70s music. The 80's is still dark time for music. A lot of my favorite classic rock bands got bad in the 80s.

Over the past 6 years, I have gotten married, became a father, and entered middle age. I think these things induced a wave of nostalgia for the latter half of my own childhood that lead me to finally let go of my early 90s rebellion against the 80s. I'm not listening to 80s pop radio or anything that drastic, but I have reconnected with the elite best of the 80s (so I'm a little less of an 80s snob now).

Liking relatively little 80s is why this is the only decade that I could even consider a single favorite album. Without further ado...

GunsnRosesAppetiteforDestructionalbumcover.jpg

Like so many yang things, this fish still has a yin eye, namely Sweet Child Of Mine. I despise that song, but my hatred has probably been intensified by it being so popular. Other than that one song, Appetite For Destruction is a rock masterpiece.

And on the album cover, the top skull represents my favorite modern solo artist, Izzy Stradlin. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online