Bee Gees (Official Thread)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Bee Gees

Im not a big fan of the BEE GEES but respect them as my mother is a great fan of theirs [ she later liked Pink Floyd .Widowmaker,Smokie and Judas priest...so i will let her off:tongue:. I do prefer the pre - disco BEE GEES.......I Remember a track that used a mellotron...[ wow tangerine dream eat your heart out]... yikes what was the title.?..sweet song of summer.??...probably got that wrong..please help

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I'm on the opposite side of the fence from Lynch. I loved the '60s stuff and not so much their later material, particularly the disco stuff (I never cared for disco anything). I think the last song they did that I cared for was "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" which was probably '71 or '72 at the latest. They were among the best at pop/rock self-pity songs.

But then I'm such an old fogey that I had that "Best of the Bee Gees" album, not on vinyl, but on pre-recorded reel-to-reel tape!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Im not a big fan of the BEE GEES but respect them as my mother is a great fan of theirs [ she later liked Pink Floyd .Widowmaker,Smokie and Judas priest...so i will let her off:tongue:. I do prefer the pre - disco BEE GEES.......I Remember a track that used a mellotron...[ wow tangerine dream eat your heart out]... yikes what was the title.?..sweet song of summer.??...probably got that wrong..please help

Maurice "Mo" Gibb was an excellent mellotron player.

Here are some tracks:

World (1967)
Every Christian Lion Hearted Man will Show You (1967)
Horizontal (1967)
Sinking Ships (1968)
Kilburn Towers (1968)
I've Got a Message to You (1968)
Red Chair Fadeaway (1967)

Mo was also a fabulous harpsichord, organ, piano player, too. Mo was by far the most talented musician of the 3 brothers.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'm on the opposite side of the fence from Lynch. I loved the '60s stuff and not so much their later material, particularly the disco stuff (I never cared for disco anything). I think the last song they did that I cared for was "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" which was probably '71 or '72 at the latest. They were among the best at pop/rock self-pity songs.

But then I'm such an old fogey that I had that "Best of the Bee Gees" album, not on vinyl, but on pre-recorded reel-to-reel tape!

I'm with Lynch, one of my friends tried to get me into the earlier material, but I didn't really get into them until "Main Course" came out. I have since mellowed and do play their earlier songs once in a while but I still prefer their 70's and even some of their disco songs...:blush: (There's more to it than just the music for me.:D)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

bmn_sgtpepper-splash.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

The Bee Gees at one point were heralded as the 'next coming' of the Beatles, weren't they?

Then again, I think ELO was at one point too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That's funny Lynch I was thinking the same thing, except it was a band from Toronto,,,"Klaatu", that some people thought was the Beatles. Didn't do them much good though, there can be only one Fab Four, and it ended up causing them more trouble than the PR was worth at the onset.(They didn't have anything to do with it themselves.)

If I had one Bee Gees album to add to my collection besides the double CD compilation I own, it would be "Main Course", bought that one for my Mom's birthday when it came out, she was a big fan of theirs.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

The Bee Gees at one point were heralded as the 'next coming' of the Beatles, weren't they?

Then again, I think ELO was at one point too.

LG's right. Klaatu was one, and you're right on ELO. There was also Badfinger that was touted as the next Beatles and believe or not, The Knack had some Beatles type hysteria going on when they first came on the scene. Faded quickly though.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online