Bands or musicians who strayed far from their roots

Romulus

Reaction score
Marc Bolan of TRex for some had strayed from his roots when he started to use the electric guitar and writing more commercial songs which bought him fame, adulation and money. Before he fronted and band called John's Children, where he would attend music festivals, sit on the floor and play his own songs with his acoustic guitar. It had a hippy affair to it which some classed as underground music (very cool in those days) and to change to poppy commercial music, with screaming girls, wear glitter and to end up on Top Of The Pops - utter betrayal..! (But I still like his hit songs and do very well in advertisements) :)

RhyeInTheJar

Reaction score
Fleetwood Mac.
Genesis.
Eric Clapton. Listening to his 80s albums you'd be puzzled as to why this guy is revered as some blues guitar genius.
Rush. I actually like latter era Rush, but it's a far cry from the hard prog rock of the 70s.
Bee Gees. Being only familiar with their disco music for many years I was amazed that they were actually a great vocal harmony pop group in the 60s and early 70s.
Queen to a degree in the 80s. I bet "fans" who know them by I Want To Break Free, Radio Ga Ga and A Kind Of Magic would be surprised to hear their early prog metal albums.
I personally don't think Aerosmith have changed as much as some seem to think. Or maybe those people have only heard their later singles. They were certainly grittier in the 70s, but I never thought that their post '87 records were *that* different.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
Tbh I never heard much later Aerosmith other than what did become singles in the 90s, but I have to argue what was released was very different from earlier years. They were hard rock in the 70's and much of the 80s, and then switched to a more "top 40 radio friendly" sound.

But..they sold a whole pile of albums, can't deny it was successful.

RatBoy

Reaction score
Michael Bolton - started out rocking in Blackjack and had solo hits with Everybody's Crazy and Fool's Game.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Staff online

Members online