Bad Company (Official Thread)

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
My take on Bad Company is that they were very song oriented. You won't find 20 minute guitar or drum solos on their studio records. Everything they did was geared toward making quality songs,...as it should be! Mick Ralphs has amazing restraint. A lesser guitarist would have cluttered their songs up with elaborate leads that take away from the overall simplicity and effectiveness of their songs. Simple, yet effective. That's their style. And that's why it works so well, it's all about song quality.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
I have all the Paul Rogers era stuff on vinyl. To me Rogers was and is Bad Company with him gone Bad Co. became some what of a bore. The original stuff is amazing though in a simplistic sort of way. While I generally enjoy more complicated, intricate material Bad Company are one of the exceptions for me.

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
I have all the Paul Rogers era stuff on vinyl. To me Rogers was and is Bad Company with him gone Bad Co. became some what of a bore. The original stuff is amazing though in a simplistic sort of way. While I generally enjoy more complicated, intricate material Bad Company are one of the exceptions for me.

Ditto, BC are definitely exceptions.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ditto, BC are definitely exceptions.

I wholeheartedly agree. Even now, 40 odd years into their career, they are tight and Rogers sounds just as good as he did in the 70's. Such passion without all the show-off solos of other arena rockers.

Vader

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. Even now, 40 odd years into their career, they are tight and Rogers sounds just as good as he did in the 70's. Such passion without all the show-off solos of other arena rockers.

So called "show off solos " are often times one of the most interesting and emotional parts of the songs. Without Rogers Bad Company went limp, IMO. I saw them live without him and they were just boring ....didn't help that show off Terrible Ted Nugent opened for them and just laid waste to the arena before they hit the stage.
Once Again... I love Paul Rogers Bad Company. But without him they seemed tame as a house cat next to the bengal tiger that is Ted.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
My take on Bad Company is that they were very song oriented. You won't find 20 minute guitar or drum solos on their studio records. Everything they did was geared toward making quality songs,...as it should be! Mick Ralphs has amazing restraint. A lesser guitarist would have cluttered their songs up with elaborate leads that take away from the overall simplicity and effectiveness of their songs. Simple, yet effective. That's their style. And that's why it works so well, it's all about song quality.

You just summed up Bad Company perfectly!

I have all the Paul Rogers era stuff on vinyl. To me Rogers was and is Bad Company with him gone Bad Co. became some what of a bore.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm a huge fan of everything Paul's been a part of, not ONLY because of Paul of course, but he certainly plays a big part, being one of my absolute favourite singers.

Vader

Reaction score
You just summed up Bad Company perfectly!

Couldn't agree more.

I'm a huge fan of everything Paul's been a part of, not ONLY because of Paul of course, but he certainly plays a big part, being one of my absolute favourite singers.

Yeah, I'm of the same opinion. The band also provided excellent soundscapes ,if you will. However, their somewhat minimal approach ( in comparison to Deep Purple, Zeppelin, or even Thin Lizzy etc. ) left them lacking in emotional umph after Rogers departure. At least half if not more of the passion left with Paul. Just my opinion, I realize others may feel differently and once again have to state... togather they were a force to be reckoned with.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So called "show off solos " are often times one of the most interesting and emotional parts of the songs. Without Rogers Bad Company went limp, IMO. I saw them live without him and they were just boring ....didn't help that show off Terrible Ted Nugent opened for them and just laid waste to the arena before they hit the stage.
Once Again... I love Paul Rogers Bad Company. But without him they seemed tame as a house cat next to the bengal tiger that is Ted.

Isn't Paul back with BC?

Vader

Reaction score
Isn't Paul back with BC?

I don't know. You talking about It is the first I've heard of it. BTW, nothing against Ralph's playing style but on the other hand I can't see guys like Page, Gallagher, Trower, Schenker, Blackmore, Winter etc. being classed as lesser guitarist because they play elaborate solos rather then basic guitar parts.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online