Back for the Attack by Dokken

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
I wonder what it would take to get that CD re-issued on Dokken's new record label?? I would even settle for an iTunes only edition.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Perhaps Lynch may have more info for the song, and also how it wasn't included on Under Lock And Key, nor the album Back For The Attack? :grinthumb

The first time I got my grubby hands on Back for the Attack was on the B-side of the 12-inch single of Dream Warriors, which also had a remix or re-recording of Paris is Burning on it. This single came out about 8 or 10 months before the album of the same name came out (if I remember correctly).

When the album Back for the Attack came out, I was very surprised to NOT see what I figured would be the title track on it. I found out that the song had actually been recorded during the Under Lock and Key sessions, but was left off of that recording as well. I had a friend who worked at a local record store (not some chain) and together we wrote up a letter and sent it to both the record company (Elektra) as well as the Dokken Fan club asking what happened. We got a reply back from one of the two, but I don't recall who, saying that the song had been recorded during the Under Lock and Key sessions, but was left off becaue the band didn't feel it fit in with the rest of the album. The reason that their 4th album ended up with that name was because the band actually liked the name of the song and simply used it for the album title.

If you listen to it, to me the song actually sounds more like it belonged on Tooth and Nail (their 2nd album) a lot more than ULAK or BFTA. So, perhaps it wasn't just bullshit on their reason for not including it on any album. It really wouldn't fit on BFTA, at least not the recording from that single. It really sounds like older, early 80's Dokken. More raw and not so heavily produced.

Perhaps Pat has better or more accurate information, but this is how I remember it.

I also believe that the song Walk Away was initially available on the Beast From The East live album. :bonk:
You are correct. It's the last and only non-live track on the album as well as the closing track to Dokken in the 80's.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
If you listen to it, to me the song actually sounds more like it belonged on Tooth and Nail (their 2nd album) a lot more than ULAK or BFTA.

Probably because of the different mastering techniques used on Dream Warriors single. Tooth and Nail had a pretty raw sound, mostly in the good way. I was disappointed they over-saturated the signal on "Heartless Heart" and "Bullets to Spare." However, that whole album was probably Dokken's most "metal" album. I recently wrote about that in a separate post... BFTA was an EPIC album, but Lynch's tone was quite a bit thinner than it had been during Tooth and Nail.

I can definitely tell the "Back for the Attack" song itself was recorded During the ULAK sessions, though. I am still disappointed it never made it on ULAK considering it felt much stronger than some of the cuts that did make it onto that record.

Nifty insight, though, regarding having written into the fan club as well as to Electrika Records themselves.

Jolene

Reaction score
Incase ya'll are still wondering, Dokken re-released the album "Back for the Attack" , with a bonus #14 track.... yup! The killer song itself :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online