Artists/bands that saved the 80s from total oblivion

Khor1255

Reaction score
Except for the Oasis bit I could have written every word of that. But then I know hardly anything about them except that someone in the band once compared them to The Beatles and I find their music pretentious and boring.

Bravo.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Oasis copied The Beatles, but not in a good way (imho). Pretentious and boring would be my take on them. They became massive here and, although not my cup of tea, they did sweep away the synth bands. All that remained for Oasis was to break through in the US, but they failed and I do not know why, but there are several possibe reasons.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Oh, they were pretty big here but there was a deluge of different styles that were mainstream around the time they broke and I think they just got lost among the other noise.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
OT: Funny I always felt Oasis' "Wonderwall" was a leaflet out of Paul Simon & Bruce Woodley "Red Rubber Ball" song, which the record company took and gave to a band called the Cyrkle (pronounced "Circle"), which made a big hit from.

rocknrollpestcontroll

Jammin On The Drums
Reaction score
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS "I RAN (SO FAR AWAY)" is a pretty well know 80s song as far as bands, BON JOVI, DEF LEAPPERD, LOVERBOY, DURRAN DURRAN, RICK SPRINGFEILD, and let us not forget about RED RIDER! (aka tom chocrane)

Last edited:

Gongora

Reaction score
The Smiths, U2, Joy Division, and (I know some of you will disagree) Pink Floyd's 80 stuff was really really good.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
The 80's had some pretty impressive music, here are a few, some of which I don't think have been mentioned yet -
AC/DC - Back in Black
The Cramps - Songs the Lord taught us
The Cure
Motorhead - Ace of spades
Judas Priest - British Steel
Joy Division - Closer
Iron Maiden
The Jam
The Specials
Fun Boy Three
The Pretenders
Elvis Costello