Are There Any Major Record Label Horn Section Bands Anymore??

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this alot lately.. And thought I'd post the question to see what comes up..
But I'm wondering if.. What happened to bands using a horn section??

Bands Like Chicago.. Tower Of Power.. Idles Of March and some other 70's bands used a section of horns in their music..
I know some bands now days just play a song or two and bring in a horn section
but I'm talking about bands like I mentioned above were famous for their horn section and pretty much almost every song they made featured the horns..

I know there are underground bands that use horns but I'm talking about the main stream bands played on the radio.. You don't hear any of that it seems.
Is it a lost art to, include a few sax's trumpets trombones??

Just curious about what's out there that is main streamed.. And why don't any bands try that any more..

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Seems to be the same thing that happened to the synthesizer, used to be very popular with all kinds of bands experimenting/exploring the potential the instrument had to offer. There are still bands that use synths, but not nearly as much as the "Golden Age" in the 70's and 80's.

Not sure why Horn sections are no longer in vogue Slip...music is sort of like fashion though if you are around long enough you'll see something come full circle that younger folks will think is brand new.

I would have to think the current ***...***-*** music genres being the most mindlessly boring in music history don't lend themselves to needing a horn section.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Well let's see...there is this little band from New Jersey that is using a horn section on the latest tour and the new album uses horns. The following is a performance that is really worth watching.

LINK: Bruce Springsteen Performs "E Street Shuffle" - Music - Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

A horn section has been used various times in the past as well but I don't know anything about if they are signed to the label.

Also, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes uses a horn section with every song. They still perform and record.

I Don't Want To Go Home

Trapped Again

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Dam Jersey..:omg: The only thing missing in Bruce's band on Jimmy Fallon is a choir..
He had a boat load of musicians didn't he..

Yes he does use a horn section.. He's more of a solo act with a big sound to me.. Lots of this and that..:cheers2

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I would have to think the current ***...***-*** music genres being the most mindlessly boring in music history don't lend themselves to needing a horn section.

It sure would be cool if that sound did make an appearance LG.. It brings out alot of energy and to me it's really great to watch Live..

Tower Of Power in the beginning was known for their "active" horn section.

Here's another video of Tower Of Power when Skip Mesquite was best known for his dancing around on stage while playing sax..

I saw them at Cal Jam.. Rubicon also played right after them and I believe if I remember right.. Rubicon had a big horn section too..

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Dam Jersey..:omg: The only thing missing in Bruce's band on Jimmy Fallon is a choir..
He had a boat load of musicians didn't he..

Yes he does use a horn section.. He's more of a solo act with a big sound to me.. Lots of this and that..:cheers2

That performance was such a treat for me. It was fantastic! There were 24 musicians on the stage for that song but that included Jimmy's band The Roots and Tom Morello who plays on Bruce's new album. Oh and I can't forget Jimmy on the cowbell. :heheh:

I love when a band uses a horn section. I'm a big Chicago fan too. It's too bad there aren't more bands that utilize horns.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Yes I have 2 Rubicon albums Slip and they definitely have a horn section right up front.

I hope when I clean them they are listenable, right now both of them are in poor shape.:( I've never seen them on CD either...but the vinyl would sound much better.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Yes I have 2 Rubicon albums Slip and they definitely have a horn section right up front.

I hope when I clean them they are listenable, right now both of them are in poor shape.:( I've never seen them on CD either...but the vinyl would sound much better.

I found their debut on You Tube awhile back.. Really good band and they just disapeered.. Get a little dish soap out and clean it that way.. It may sound like a bad idea, but it does help.. Unless your talking it's all scratched up and then I would be sad like you are.. I can't find their albums anywhere..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I am ordering a nice professional cleaning machine next month Slip...both to clean up the old records I can salvage, and the New beautiful vinyl editions I am ordering. Found a site that absolutely blew me away two weeks ago.:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online