Are Forums Dead?

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
:heheh: That website certainly gets right to the point, and shows that not everyone has been brainwashed to believe that FB is the only place to be.:)

Deprogram, people!

hypnotic.gif

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I read a post in another forum that I can't put here that made me roar...it was less than complimentary about the impact FB has had on all general interest forums and the people that use it.:heheh:

Times have changed though there is no denying that I can see for myself over the last 6 years running music forums things are not the same anymore, no surprise really nothing changes as fast as the internet.

2 years from now FB will be replaced by something else, sort of like they did to Myspace.:D

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There are (progressive) rock music specific social networking sites, but although I've signed up to a few, I don't really like them anymore than I did Facebook. Forums are only really the old bulletin boards and there seem to be an infinite number of them as far as I can tell, but they vary a lot in style.

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
^^^From what I hear/read Twitter seems to be slowly over-shadowing the infamous FB. I find Twitter better than FB, people can't go on and on and on in a single post, they get a 140 character limit for each "tweet". Any who, I think forums are great and are no match to FB or Twitter, all of them are different in their own fantastic ways. I just wish more people used them like they used to :(, I feel like there aren't that many people on forums anymore, maybe there are a lot of people who still do but I just don't see it XD.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
For me the biggest impact of anything on forums of all kinds are cell phones with texting taking hold of an entire generation of people. Why bother sitting down with your PC and making an effort to communicate intelligently, just send a coded transmission to your 'posse' using lete speak and be done with it.

That more than anything else is what I see everyday everywhere I go. Amazing we grew up just fine without any of these devices.

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
^^^From what I hear/read Twitter seems to be slowly over-shadowing the infamous FB. , .

I know my Kids are all about Twitter & Instagram now, and it was just a short time ago that they talked me into signing up to Facebook, My youngest daughter says Old folks have taken over Facebook now. So I guess when the parents & and even grandparents start getting on a social network it's time for the younger ones to move on to "The Next Big Thing"..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Myspace is defunct as a social media, except for muscians and artists.

Facebook still has a huge market, but a lot of the younger kids dont use it. "Too much crap" and "too many trolls" on FB is what my kid tells me, but she does use it to connect to other stuff.....like games.

I dont really understand Twitter, because I dont use it. But evidently it is really "Cool". And full of spam, which will be it's downfall.........

The newest sensation is "SnapChat". Posting small vids, which the recipients only get to view one time. Kinda like a mini one sided conversation, IMHO.

One thing I do like is Facetime......:)

I have been an administrator of forums for a very very long time. I do see the trend for forums to be fading and dying. Although I do not see them becoming extinct. As long as you have people who are looking for "real" converstions, you will still have a forum.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online