Cult (2000)
Reflections (2003)
Apocalyptica (2005)
Worlds Collide (2007)
7th Symphony (2010)
Shadowmaker (2015)
Cell-O (2020)
Plays Metallica Vol 2 (2024)

Hi there ! This is my first actual music post and I made the choice to talk about one of my favorite bands. The avatar I use is a picture I made at a concert of theirs... So:

Who are they ??
Well… normally I would quote wikipedia but not this time ! I’m gonna tell you what I know about this band that I find interesting.
First thing you should know: they only use the cello (and since 2005 also a drum) to play their songs. If you are thinking; “Hell no, no boring classic music for me, thanks” then you should also know that they started out playing Metallica songs with those cello’s… And that they still play heavy-metal songs although they now also have some songs of their own.
For starters play this song in the background: it is a metallica cover from the album Inquisition Symphony. If you don't recognise the song, you haven't been in the metal section of this forum alot have you?

There :) now that we have some music playing this will be much more interesting:

They started out playing metallica songs just for fun but when performing in this metal club named “the Teatro Heavy Metal Club” they struck Kari Hynninen as perfect and thus that evening Kari, being a worker at the independent Zen Garden Records, immediately signed them to his label. And so it was that Apocalyptica sprung into the picture.

Their first album “plays metallica by four cello’s”

Playsmetallicabyfourcellos.jpg

only had metallica covers on it, as you might have guessed from the title.
By now you probably (and hopefully) recognised our previous song: Nothing Else Matters.. Nothing else matters wasn’t on this album just yet… They preferred to play faster songs so anyone who knows metallica will now spontaneously think of songs like “master of puppets” “enter sandman” and “Harvester of sorrow”. These being the first 3 songs on that album…
Here you go: listen to master of puppets:

I have been to a few apocalyptica concerts, and I can tell you, to hear this song live… it changes you. It really does. Never again will I listen to metallica or apocalyptica in the same way… I was 16, average age in the audience was 30, (they weren’t as famous as nowadays)… 300 ppl in a small concert room. And almost 300 ppl singing along with the song…
Come crawling faster
Obey your Master
Your life burns faster
Obey your Master
Master!

That is how I picture heaven to be… Big crowds singing to a non vocal cover of a song I love.

Anyway: back to reality…

after that album came many more :) and until this day forward, they almost have no bad albums... If you want to check them out, try a best off or the "amplified" album (which is a best-off, but amplified.)
I'll do a follow-up on their other albums later :) to keep the interest going?!

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent choice Oblivion. You introduced me to this group, and I must say I dont regret it. For those of you who dont know Apocalyptica they are very similar to Nightwish, Blind Guardian, or Sonata Arctica.

this song is an excellent song from the World's Collide album:

I Don’t Care

The song starts out mellow and builds to a pure spell binding jam.

Oblivion

Reaction score
:) Hehe, this group will always be the first I mention. Although they aren't my favorite band they certainly are the most original.

Neverlife

Reaction score
Excellent choice Oblivion. You introduced me to this group, and I must say I dont regret it. For those of you who dont know Apocalyptica they are very similar to Nightwish, Blind Guardian, or Sonata Arctica

Now magic, your a goddess of knowledge in most cases, but your comment there has bonfuzzled me. I would not compare them to any of those bands more then just to say, there are amazing and metal.

But anywho, I love apocalyptica, and Plays Metallica..., is always on my playlists because it is just so amazing. Cello's were never that interesting to me until they turned them into the metal instrument.

And Oblivion, that does sound like heaven....I got shivers just thinking about it.

Oblivion

Reaction score
Omg :) A reply in the apocalyptica thread? I must be dreaming :D Maybe now I'll finally do a followup on the next albums.. :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
You're not dreaming cause here is another reply!!

I got on to these guys a bit late but better late than never. I now own the CD catalog and I love them!!

51HulAtHLZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I Like LACUNA COIL TOO!!

Last edited:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Listening to "Nothing Else Matters" on YouTube. I have the Metallica SF Symphony dvd and thought nothing could be more beautiful but the Apocalyptica version is giving me chills. :ty:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
OB has corrupted me as well, I have all of Apocalyptica's albums on the shelf,,,and I thought for sure I already posted in this thread...:bonk:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online