American bandstand

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
American-bandstand_logo.png

American Bandstand came out in the 50's and celebrated alot of great rock and roll and dance music for many years. This iconic television music and dance show is still heavily connected with the 70's!

If you were a kid during this time you know what I'm talking about. Every Saturday Morning after SchoolHouse rock at 11 A.M. central time we were treated to the legendary Dick Clark and his cast of dancers for cool tunes,dancers and special guests for a fun filled hour of top 40.

Incidentally my ex-manager for Gynger Lynn (John Hunter) who was in the Warner Brothers recording group "The Hounds" was on American Bandstand for his hit song as a solo artist, "Tragedy" and I used to bug him every time we were hangin out at his crib to put on the old tape of the show when we were hangin'. Sorry John! We're still buds to this day.

Let's take a look back and feel free to add whatever you desire from the 60's on back through it's rise in MAJOR poularity in the 70's!

GROOVY!!!

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I remember this one, Dick Clark's best show.:bounce:

It's funny how all these old shows set the stage for MTV and VH1 later on, but I prefer listening to music without an accompanying video, my imagination is usually far better than the crappy vids that most musicians create. My one exception are concert DVD's those are different and capture the essence of the band live in their element.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use to watch this show all the time.

Did anyone watch Dick Clark's New Years eve last night? That man looks incredible for his age. Except for some speech problems, he did a good job on the show.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Bandstand began as a local program on WFIL-TV (now WPVI), Channel 6 in Philadelphia on October 7, 1952. Then it was hosted by Bob Horn and was called Bob Horn's Bandstand.On July 9 of 1956 the show got a new host, a clean-cut 26 year old named Dick Clark. When ABC picked the show up, it was renamed American Bandstand, airing it's first national show on August 5, 1957. The show was moved to Los Angeles in 1964. From 1963 to 1987 Bandstand was on only once a week, on Saturday. Briefly it was part of the USA Network with new host David Hirsh but went off the air in 1989.

I liked the "rate a record" segment of the show.

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
I also grew up watching American Bandstand. I agree that Dick Clark is ageless. I did see him last night and it was a bit difficult to follow him at times with his speech. Just goes to show you that a stroke shows no discrimination. He always seemed like he was healthy and then the stroke. But he still has a lot of vigor.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I missed New Year's Rockin' Eve last night :(

Thanks for the additional insight and history Flower! I like the rate a records too! :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online