That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockrevisited.com

ALICE COOPER THINKS ALCOHOL SHOULD BE ILLEGAL
Brought To You By VH1’s Dave Basner

Alice Cooper never got into hard drugs, but he did battle alcoholism in the ‘70s before getting sober in 1983. With his history, he feels that it is actually alcohol and cigarettes that should be illegal and not drugs. The shock rocker told OK Magazine that after looking at the statistics, he feels booze and cigarettes should be banned because they “kill more than drugs do.” Read more at Ok.co.uk.

Alice_Cooper.jpg

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alcohol is a drug. It is a chemical that affects the way the body works. But regarding banning it, banning is taking the rights away from people who don't abuse those privileges and there are many who don't. I know alcohol kills more then most other drugs but anything can kill if you abuse it.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
We already tried that. And it was a fantastic, monumental failure. Is alcohol kind of evil? Sure. But prohibition is a terrible idea.

All credit and sympathy to the people who have succeeded against their demons. It's an amazing achievement. However, people are often very zealously jaded by their recovery, and it often clouds their judgement on these matters. They want to save the world, and that's great(ish). But, not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, and not everyone who smokes is going to get lung cancer, and there's nothing that people hate more than having strangers tell them what to do.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Well, I agree with him that cigarettes and alcohol are far more dangerous than "drugs" (i.e. many other popular recreational drugs). But I don't think alcohol should be made illegal -- like with marijuana prohibition, alcohol prohibition would only increase sales and crime like it did in the 20s.

If it were a choice of every drunk person in the world being high on pot instead, the world would be a mildly better place. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as simple as just illegalizing one or legalizing the other...

It goes without saying that drugs like meth and crack are worse than alcohol and cigarettes. But there are a plethora of illegal drugs I would steadfastly rate above alcohol and cigarettes on the safety scale. Drugs like LSD and mushrooms, for example, have a comparatively minuscule incentive for daily use, overuse and addiction.

Most people wouldn't even want to go home every day and then trip for 12 hours, while getting black out drunk after work every night is more palatable and thereby much more dangerous. There are even drugs like datura which are not illegal because it's so unpalatable as to not be considered a wide health crisis, since people simple won't use it. Datura is one of the most powerful and dangerous drugs, but it's perfectly legal.

MDMA has also been proven as one of the safest recreational drugs, with dehydration being the only serious cause for concern (and not only is that very easily avoidable, but it's a potential side effect of exercise as well, shall we make exercise illegal?)

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. Mark Twain
The point of drinking in moderation is that sometimes you don't drink in moderation.
Artie Lange

I think I'll head on over to the the "what are you drinking" thread now.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
It's not the alcohol that's the problem, it's the people who choose to get drunk off the alcohol and do stupid things.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
That was pretty much the point of my post too Prime.

You can not illegalize altered states of consciousness. People have been trying to do so since the beginning of time.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Exactly. No matter how situations can take a turn for the worse when alcohol is involved, it's nobody's fault but the consumer.

matsellah

Chicago Boy
Reaction score
The shock rocker told OK Magazine that after looking at the statistics, he feels booze and cigarettes should be banned because they “kill more than drugs do.”

With all due respect, Mr. Cooper. But, if all illegal drugs were suddenly legal, do you think the death rate might climb? Perhaps to eclipse alcohol and cigarettes?

/facepalm

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online