Aerosmith: 'records don't make sense'

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Tell me about it. We are moving from Austria to Greece in a couple of months and I've got shitloads of records to take with me..... not to mention all the other stuff of course!

Yeah it kinda kills the whole collecting hobby if you are never sure of your geographical location. :uh: unless of course one is willing to pay tons of money in cargo transport fees cos... those CDs sure as hell ain't gonna fit in with that 30 kg allowance that the airlines allow. :uh:

Anyway, nice to hear that you are moving to Greece. Interesting. You changing jobs?

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I've cut back on collecting vinyl for that very reason, mate, but the plan is to stay in Greece, which means I will return to buying more vinyl and less CDs. I’m keeping my job, but my wife, who is Greek, has some new job opportunities in Greece and we have a daughter, who we'd rather let grow up in Greece (since she is half Greek/half Danish) rather than in Austria. Besides, we have two houses in Greece, which means we'll get rid of paying a considerably high rent - money we'd rather save for our daughter.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Not paying rent and living in one's own house is the best thing! :grinthumb We are also looking to buy a house and stop paying rent. Good luck on the move.

Sorry for thread derailment. lol.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
"It would be great to make another record, but it's almost, why bother?" Joey Kramer told Ultimate Classic Rock magazine. "Records don't sell, and they don't do anything … There's almost no reason to do it, you know, judging from the last one and how it went over."
Maybe it makes sense to think about the quality of their musical stuff? If album sales are bad - maybe that album not so good? :think: Somehow last AC/DC's album hadn't troubles like this...:confused:

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
"Now all of our money is made on touring."

A lot of money bands make from touring. It's been like for almost a decade now, the music industry has changed therefore the way of generating an income has changed. If he noticed just now, then he must be either slow or still living in the 70s.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
A lot of money bands make from touring. It's been like for almost a decade now, the music industry has changed therefore the way of generating an income has changed. If he noticed just now, then he must be either slow or still living in the 70s.

Maybe he is just complaining because he is older now, and touring isn't fun like it was when they first started. Touring is one of the best ways to get a new album sold, but maybe he just feels like because he's been around for awhile that people should just buy their music without a tour.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
It's pretty silly to look at a #5 selling album and whine that there's no point in putting out records. Sure, small acts can't make money off of records these days. But if you're not making money off of a #5 record then it's time to reconsider the millions you're spending on superfluous studio costs and advertising. Obviously Aerosmith could make plenty of money off of a record if they were even halfway savvy. Bust out a record with Steve Albini over a month and you'll need a dozen landfills to stuff your revenue in.

But equally obvious is the fact that it's their own damn decision and if they don't want to bother making records, that's up to them. I don't blame them, they're successful individuals and deserve to take it easy if they want to. But I think their newer stuff has been pretty good by and large so I don't think they should stop. Still, I'm sure most of the casual fans who go to their concerts will be genuinely glad to just get the hits without having to sit through the songs from the new album. As they would for any veteran act. I hope Tom Petty never comes to this decision.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
^^^You go, AAGirl.

Actually, Aerosmith records haven't made sense to me since Nine Lives.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Actually, Aerosmith records haven't made sense to me since Nine Lives.

Haha I was going to say something similar but did not want to offend the Aerosmith fans here. Nine Lives is the last album of theirs that I bought, although I did listen to and enjoy in parts Just Push Play which came out in the early 2000s.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Honkin on Bobo was great. Steven Tyler has too much control over Aerosmith's output in my opinion. So many ****ing ballads.

Plus Cds compared to vinyl. They're giving us 15 tracks an album as opposed to 8. Quantity over Quality?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online