Aerosmith - Done With Mirrors (1985)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith ~ Done With Mirrors (1985)

Good point. I always thought the formula from the past was 10 tracks to an album. Of course there were time constraints on vinyl that you dont have now with digital CD technology.

To be honest, I like to see at least 13-15 tracks on a CD. In the 70's, I could buy an album for 10 bucks, hot off the press. Which actually was a lot of money, all things considered. Today, a new release goes for 13 bucks on debut....sometimes more. Which I consider pretty economical, especially when you see 13 tracks or more.

I would love to see a full cost analysis comparison from the 70's and 2000's for the costs to produce that first CD.

The trouble is that having more songs on there is fine if they are "good." If you are putting songs on there just to get to a magic number, that portion of the album is going to be downgraded by fans, critics or whoever might be reviewing this album or comparing it to the band's previous works.

If a band is "capable" of doing 6-7 really good songs for a particular album and they ultimately record and release 9 songs on a cd, it is a whole different story than using those same 6-7 songs on an album with 13 songs, isn't it? :)

Either way, I have always noticed that the majority of albums with middling to fair reviews tend to either be 35 minutes long or 75 minutes long, usually on account of being too long or too short.

Personally though, I agree with the "more songs" thing just to get my money's worth. I hate paying $12-14 for something that is basically ep length. The only issue is I am not a "skipper." I'm a guy who likes to put on a cd and let it run, even if I've owned the album for years and have listened to it dozens of times.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I agree with having the extra tracks being "filler" for the CD. Amazingly, though, fans seem to eat up the marketing strategy for those "previously unreleased tracks". I have even seen short outtakes from a practice session on CD's. And those "hidden" tracks.

I guess they do what they have to do to keep a "new" marketing strategy that sells the product.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

-My Fist Your Face is pretty good. It sounds like old Aerosmith with the more aggressive guitar. I've caught myself digging this one in the past I must admit.
-Let the Music Do the Talking. I've always liked that song. That kicks ass.
-She's On Fire is pretty cool. I've never heard that song actually. I like bluesy stuff.
-Shela, was decent. It reminded me of the older stuff a bit. Pretty rocking solos.

Really this wasn't too bad of an album for something fo far removed from the early stuff. I'll have to go through the albums after Rocks, and up until this one. I think I may be missing out on some cool stuff.

Permanent Vacation is when they really just started to blow, at least all that MTV Aerosmith, like Rag Doll--I hate that song.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.