advice from genesis fans wanted.

billyporter

Reaction score
i love the genesis lps a trick of the tail and wind and wuthering. i've tried listening to the gabriel version of the band but can't get into it.
however is there a gabriel led album that is closer to the 2 albums that i have?

also i love the bass on the albums i've have and the use of bass pedals[at least i think thats what i'm hearing], are there any other recording that have this sound?

also the guitar on a mouse's night from wind and wuthering is fantastic, are there any steve hackett recording with the band or solo that have that sound on them/

thanks.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
About your first question: what albums did you listen to made with Gabriel?
Just try Foxtrot, Nursury Cryme and Selling England to the Pound again. They are all wonderful.

I can't answer your other questions, really wouldn't know.

billyporter

Reaction score
i did listen to the lps you mentioned, however i listened quickly and one after another, so maybe i didn't give them a fair go.
i think i should just give one album a listen instead of trying to judge them all at once.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'd add "Lamb Lays Down on Broadway" to Tony's list BP. Early Genesis has little resemblance to the Collins/Banks/Rutherford incarnation of the band. For years I only had the later albums, but went back a few years ago and got all the Gabriel era recordings, and now I like them more than the later more commercial albums. Not that there's anything wrong with being successful, I still love "Duke" and "Abacab". I found the more you listen to early Genesis the more I got out of the records.

I have a few Steve Hackett solo records...I'll have to listen to them again before I could offer any helpful suggestions.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Trespass might be worth a listen to you as well. It's not as overpowering as Nursery Cryme and onwards and it shares quite a few characteristics of Trick and W&W. :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is a MASTERPIECE!!! I have to agree with that.

Though my favourite Gabriel album is Foxtrot. You need to really give Supper's Ready and good hard listen and if you still don't dig it then , oh well. :grinthumb

Cannons Ahoy

The Great Pretender
Reaction score
IMO Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway bear the most similarity to A Trick of the Tail as far as sound goes. I haven't listened to Wind and Wuthering so I don't know about that.

However one good feature of Genesis is that at least during the seventies they never stopped evolving and no record from them was quite like the former! I like A Trick very much although Gabriel isn't on it. :D

The Freak

The Freak
Reaction score
Personally I look on them as two different bands.

Peter Gabriel was Genesis for me and I think there should have been a change of name when he left and the band went in a different direction.

A bit like Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Or Floyd without Waters. Or Floyd for that matter without Syd - maybe there's a new thread in that but when somebody so important in a band leaves, the whole dynamic changes and changing the name of the band might be more appropriate.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Spectral Mornings is a great Steve Hackett solo album. I recommend checking it out!

For PG era Genesis - for me the best and most cohesive listen is Selling England By the Pound. Cinema Show in itself is such a well written and performed track~

Also, I have to disagree about different eras of Genesis being a different band. I just see it as musical evolution. After all, if all Genesis did was pump out Lamb over and over, where would be the diversity and musical expression or different directions over the decades? Look at PG's solo works, they are incredible and he went in his own direction, but Collins/Rutherford/Banks were still able to take the band into new territory and make some great music as well - just not together. But the core of Genesis (Banks and Rutherford) still remained throughout the years.
;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online