Super Moderator
Reaction score
rockaaa.com

Fair Warning

Sammy Hagar says his reunion with Van Halen is ‘inevitable’

Reported by Bruce Henne

Published: July 5, 2011. © Rock AAA.

Hagar: Hopeful

Sammy Hagar’s busy with Chickenfoot these days, and Van Halen are busy with original singer David Lee Roth, but Sammy thinks things could change at some point in the future.

“Absolutely,” said Hagar about the possibility of working with VH again. “I’m not predicting it. I just say… someday. We made too good of music together, with Eddie and I in Van Halen, we had such a great thing for a long time.

“When it went sour, it wasn’t just because of us. There was a lot of outside forces. Our manager died and a new guy came in, and he just totally divided the band and conquered us, you know?!

“So I think there will come a time where Eddie’s gonna wake up and go, ‘Hey, man, I miss being friends with Sammy,’ if nothing else, or, ‘I would love to make that music again, or play those songs again.’ ‘Cause they have no choice — they’ve got Sam or they’ve got Dave; they can’t find a new guy — they already tried that and it didn’t work. So it’s inevitable.”

“If Eddie and Al [drummer Alex Van Halen] want to play music for the rest of their lives, someday they’re gonna have to come and deal with me,” continued Sammy. “But right now I’m so happy with what I’m doing with Chickenfoot, I hope they don’t call me next week, I hope they don’t call me next month, because I would have to say, ‘Gee, I’m busy right now; I’m not gonna drop Chickenfoot for anything.’ It’s my favorite thing I’ve ever done in my life; I love this band.

“Someday we’re all gonna be sitting around or running into each other somewhere and going, ‘You know, let’s get back together and be friends and make that music again, just play it one time for the big time or whatever.’ So I think it’s inevitable.”

Hagar’s last experience with VH was the ill-fated 2004 reunion tour in support of a poorly organized Best-Of package; it also proved to be the final VH tour for bassist Michael Anthony, who was forced by Eddie to take a pay cut and sign over any future rights he had to the VH name. Anthony and Hagar now make up half of supergroup Chickenfoot, along with guitarist Joe Satriani and drummer Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

VH are getting set to release their first new music with Roth since 1996, with fall tour dates in Australia already announced.

vanhalenwithhagar.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
...and so it goes on and on and on...Sammy is nothing if not chatty.:heheh:

But he does make a lot of good points, they had a good relationship for years, and that will become evident to everyone as time goes on.

Personally, I think Eddie Van Halen has damaged himself with all the years of excessive drinking and smoking. I wonder what he could have done if he had stayed in control of his vices over the last 30 years.:think:

Mr. T

Reaction score
I won't be holding my breath. :heheh: Considering how tight Sammy and Michael are I have a hard time believing Sammy would do it again without Michael as part of it and I don't think that will EVER happen. Just a thought... :dunno:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sammy sounds full of himself.

Could be he's come down with "Gene Simmons" syndrome RS...:oyea:

I do like Sammy, with Montrose, his solo work, not a huge fan of his stint with VH but I have found myself warming up to those albums over time, and lastly with Chickenfoot which seems to me where he belongs now.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I won't be holding my breath. :heheh: Considering how tight Sammy and Michael are I have a hard time believing Sammy would do it again without Michael as part of it and I don't think that will EVER happen. Just a thought... :dunno:

Tunez said it about as plainly I would have. I don't see it unless Alex/Eddie decided to make up with Michael and I don't see that happening anytime soon (read that as 'ever')

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Could be he's come down with "Gene Simmons" syndrome RS...:oyea:

I do like Sammy, with Montrose, his solo work, not a huge fan of his stint with VH but I have found myself warming up to those albums over time, and lastly with Chickenfoot which seems to me where he belongs now.

I agree Lg :)

Gene Simmons Syndrome ?:oyea: Good one lol

Yes, I mean ..I loved Sammy's solo stuff but at first I really couldn't get into Van Hagar era ...

overtime I re-listened to alot and found ,,,ain't too bad really:grinthumb
In fact , I actually liked it alot .

But I GROW tired of the soap opera Van Halen has become..

I love Edward but he's really been a bit of an arse these past few years. Booze and drugs have robbed him (and us) of alot of great music..

It's sad ...

ANF

Reaction score
Hagar seems like a nice guy, but I think as long as Eddie and Dave can be in a room without one wanting to stab the other, lets leave it as that. Van Hagar had a nice run but Sammy will always come in second to Diamond Dave.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sammy is definitly a chatter box lately.

I dont see an "inevitable" reunion. Maybe a cameo appearance, but not an outright reunion........

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online