"50 albums that 'have defined this most esoteric of genres"

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Piper? I didn't know this was a list of psychedelic acid rock records. Try Atom Heart Mother or Meddle.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I always thought the Sgt. Peppers album was a big push along a new path. Taking a musically progressive direction that many bands were to follow. Peppers shifted the goalposts for what could be achieved in the studio.

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
In the latest edition of Classic Rock magazine a poster lists the 50 albums that "have defined this most esoteric of genres"

Classic Rock consulted the 'progniscenti!' - everyone from Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson, ELP's Carl Palmer, Fairport's Dave Pegg, Ihsahn, members of Marillion, Magenta, Pallas, Mastodon, Mostly Autumn and Dream Theater to long-term prog fans like Alice Cooper.

there are some interesting inclusions, especially for me - none other than Eldorado by E.L.O.! Most such lists never mention E.L.O.

"Always hugely and very obviously influenced by The Beatles, ELO's overtly symphonic sound was ideal to blend in with prog. ELO started to take the prog genre in new directions, as did Supertramp around the same time. Eldorado was the first to be recorded with a full orchestra and is a concept album about a daydreamer."

Indeed!

:grinthumb

200px-Elo_Eldorado.jpg
Eldorado, A Symphony by The Electric Light Orchestra, 1974

Also...

200px-TAPP-TalesOfImagination.jpg
The Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery And Imagination, 1976
The news that Pink Floyd engineer
Alan Parsons had teamed up with
songwriter and manager Eric Woolfson
was major news to fans of symphonic
prog. Enlisting the help of the band
Pilot (who Parsons had also produced)
and an array of guest vocalists, this
concept album kicked off a hugely
successful career for the duo.
Woolfson sadly died in December '09.

Classic Rock magazine, July 2010, Issue 146.

Signed,

Rick

Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
I never considered ... Sgt. Pepper prog albums.

What kind of navel gazing definition of "progressive rock" would exclude "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"? I mean what does an album have to do to be considered "progressive rock"? Sell zero copies?

:wtf:

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Wait a minute! '90125', one of the more straightforward pop/rock efforts from Yes is on here, but 'Close To The Edge', one of the great progressive albums as rated by the Progressive Rock Archives is not???
I don`t pretend to be an expert on progressive rock, but there are some glaring omissions.

Quoted for truth !!!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online