40's Favorites

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
No need to change it. I just thought I'd let ya know. If this stuff reminds you of your dad, it's all good.

Actually, if I remember the history on Mack The Knife correctly, it's really a tune from somewhere in Europe (ie: Austria or Germany or something) from the 1920's. Bobby Darin was actually the second American to record it in english (First being Louis Armstrong a few years before).

And .. the only reason I know any of this is because when Don Kirshnirr died a couple months back, I read that Don and Bobby Darin used to write/record commercial jingles together. After Bobby hit it huge with Mack the Knife, he left Don in the dust.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Yeah, it all reminds me of my Dad. I wasn't alive in the 40s or the the 50's, but the music from those era's have always been a part of me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Not sure if it's 40's but this Frank Sinatra song comes to mind, my Mom loved his albums.

LyricalLaurel

EΔЯ ЯESPOИSIBŁE, too!
Reaction score
Very cool thread JG! I love a lot of the old stuff that played in my mom's house as a kid. Her house was always full of music and Darin, Sinatra, Martin, Bennett, The Dorsey Brothers and many others were staples growing up. Because of my mom I have my deep rooted love of music in all forms and genres. :grinthumb

That is very sweet, Tunez... about your Mom. I'm sure she was delighted that you picked up on this passion of hers. My parents didn't play music (hell, they had 7 kids...there was enough noise!) except at Christmas, and it was these same legends that were played. I remember one of the record was RED vinyl - it was so damn cool!!!

I can picture it in my mind's eye - a 50's household with this kind of music playing, Mom perhaps at the sink or doing some sewing, kid(s) doing homework at the coffee table or the kitchen table. Foot/feet tapping :D

Nice memories and/or thoughts, thanks!

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
Hey, this is an interesting thread. I actually enjoy swing music quite a bit, and other classics such as Sentimental Journey.

For some reason I can't stand Frank Sinatra, but I think it is because I am sure he was a total ass. I have no proof of this, but I just have that feeling that he was a conceited knob, and that drives me nuts.

Last edited:

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I like that tune too WF, especially by Louis Prima. He wrote it 1936 believe it or not!

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
No need to change it. I just thought I'd let ya know. If this stuff reminds you of your dad, it's all good.

Actually, if I remember the history on Mack The Knife correctly, it's really a tune from somewhere in Europe (ie: Austria or Germany or something) from the 1920's. Bobby Darin was actually the second American to record it in english (First being Louis Armstrong a few years before).

Yeah, I think it's also known as "Moritat" or the "Theme From the Threepenny Opera."

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My mom was queen of boogie woogie, so I have a soft spot for boogie woogie tunes.

John Lee Hooker:

Amos Milburn:

And my mother loved country music, especially the good ole boys!

Hank Williams:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Staff online

Members online