Would RHCP be better without Anthony Kedis?

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Anothny Kedis is he a replaceable member for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. IMO Flea, John Frusciante, and Flea are as good as a bassit,guitarist and drummer you get in one band outside of prog rock. Anthony Kedis has an almost painfully flat voice when he sings. When i think about the flatness of his voice is what give some of the RHCP songs a hook. Then i think well what if you put a Brandon Boyd as a replacement with the all star lineup that is flea, fruscianted, and smith. What are your opinions on this topic?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not sure Greg, not a big RHCP fan myself. The fact they have been so successful works in Anthony's favor.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I hear this more and more on forums.. Not too many people like RHCP... I'm just wondering if that is due to lack of digging into more of their catalog.. But as for Anthony.. I agree with Greg on the point that he is a major contribution to the style of the RHCP.. You can move the guitarist and drummer around and not notice too much of a change.. But replacing the lead vocals of a popular group always leaves me feeling different.

For those who don't get them.. Dig into more of their deeper stuff..
Here's some favorites off "One Hot Minute"

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't hate them Thumper,,,I just find other bands from their era I like more.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I recommend By The Way to those wishing to explore the land of the Chillies, I find it to be nicely varied, and it bridges a large gap from their earlier work.

by-the-way.jpg

As for the question, since I've grown accustomed to his voice being associated with the band, to me they wouldn't be the same without him. Anthony is a vital band member IMO.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I don't hate them Thumper,,,I just find other bands from their era I like more.

:heheh: Oh no Sir LG.. I don't use the "hate " word.. I just hear that they really don't have much of a following.. And of course they are from my home town so I might be bias to that style of music..;) But I do like quite a few songs by them.. Some are of course not worth a listen but I like their "Jam" ability..

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
I'm not a huge RHCP fan either, I hated them for a long time actually. I like a lot (well just of the hits I know of) of their stuff now because of Fusciante on guitar. I just can tolerate that "give it away song." I hate that. It's obnoxious with that (c)RAP style. That must have been the old guitarist?

But as far as the singer.... I don't have any problem with his voice--if he doesn't RAP. Maybe the chemistry of the band lies in the great musicianship coupled with pedestrian vocals...The listener can relate to the vocals, and enjoy the great music at the same time? I think he sounds fine, and it works. I suppose they could find a new singer but it wouldn't really be RHCP.

Last edited:

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
the RHCP can't even begin to touch the awesomeness that is the solo career of their former lead guitarist, John Frusciante

frusciante.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online

No members online now.