Wings (Official Thread)

Stout

Reaction score
Wings_1976.jpg
L-R: Joe English, Denny Laine, Linda McCartney, Jimmy McCulloch, and Paul McCartney

Wings on Wikipedia

Albums

Wild Life (1971)
Red Rose Speedway (1973)
Band on the Run (1973)
Venus and Mars (1975)
Wings at the Speed of Sound (1976)
London Town (1978)
Back to the Egg (1979)

They are definitely deserving of a thread in this section of the forum. Scoff if you will, but Wings made some of the more durable music of the `70`s.
Was there dross and filler? Of course! But you name me one band that never has any of that.
The lightweight charge has been labled to paul McCartney regarding his music, and not so to John Lennon, who has been regarded as harder-edged. I don`t know, 'jealous Guy', Woman', Starting Over, Beautiful Boy are not exactly hard- bitten and cynical. Yes, Macca has doen lightweight songs in Wing such as ' My Love'. But who the hell wrote `Helter Skelter' for the Beatles, and more appropiately, 'Jounior`s farm' for Wings? The critics always get it wrong, and why do some fans slavishly follow tags and labels?
To say Macca`s output for Wings is totally lightweight borders on the absurd and ridiculous. Whoever states that hasn`t listened to all of Wings albums. You try to tell me songs such as `Jet', Let Me Roll it', Jounior`s Farm, Helen Wheels, Nineteen Hundered and Eighty five, Big barn red, get on The Right Thing, and Girl`s school do not rock out, and I would say you are hearing impaired.
Even though Wings was essentially Paul McCartney music, he had able bodied musicians helping him out such as Denny laine, Jimmy McCulloch, and Joe English. Linda was more or less there for the ride and in fairness to her, she didn`t aways want to be in the band, but Macca insisisted on having her.. But that band with the aforementioned lineup was the best Wings lineup that embarked on a world wide tour through `75-`76. Another set of musicians came along in `78 by the names of Laurence Juber, and Steve Holly, guitarand drums respectiveley. Listne to the wonderfully underrated `back To the Egg album(1979) for a more strident, harder rocking sound.
With the 1980 bust of macca in japan came the dissolution of Wings. Now I`ll go on record stating I was more of a wings fan than I was of the beatles, simply because the Beatles occured before my time. I remember Wings songs from childhood. ' Band on the Run' is still one of my favorite albums from that period and yes, i do remember those songs vividly from when i was four years old. Some things stay with you and never go away,happily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stout

Reaction score
Re: Wings

Right. This thread would not be complete without my top 5 Wings album list.
1. Band On the Run
2. Venus and mars
3. Red Rose speedway
4. Back to the Egg
5. London Town

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I liked Paul McCartney & Wings.

ul_McCartney_%26_Wings-Band_on_the_Run_album_cover.jpg

Bluebird

Helen Wheels

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

I like Paul McCartney and Wings as well. My Love may be lightweight but it's a great love song, one of my favorites. I remember hearing it on the AM stations in 73. Saw Rockshow several times at the local midnight movies way back when.:****: Wonder if it's available on DVD.

Some others:
Magneto And Titanium Man

Listen To What The Man Said

Smile Away

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I never could get into Paul's syrupy ballads but he did have his fair share of solid rock hits in the 70's. Wings Over America is still a favorite of mine to listen to. What a concert that must have been. :cheers:

The 'Best Of" cd I have compiled for him includes:

Let Me Roll It
Letting Go
Time To Hide
Beware My Love
Jet
Medicine Jar
Soily
Junior's Farm
Hi Hi Hi
Helen Wheels
Venus And Mars/Rock Show
Band On The Run
Live And Let Die

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Paul's solo career (of all 4 solo careers of the Beatles) and I include Wings in my fandom.

I love the rockier songs as mentioned before, but I'm also a bit of a sucker for a Macca ballad or two, so I do give songs such as "Silly Love Songs", "Let 'Em In" and "Mull of Kintyre" a bit of a spin every now and again

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Wings!? Hmm, I LOVE wings. Especially with a good teriyaki or garlic parmesan on them.

football_wings_lg.jpg

Stout

Reaction score

^ Nah, I prefer Chinese Chicken Wings deep fried. There`s a take out place that does them by me magnificently,

Stout

Reaction score

I`ll die young fer ser eating this crap along with all the red meat, but I will have lived happily.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.