Who here plays the guitar?

E-Z

Reaction score
Yes a lefty
I tried playing left-handed mainly trying to copy a blues hero of mine Albert King who played a Gibson flying V left-handed but it was strung as a right-handed guitar anyway I tried playing my flying V copy that way and it feels strange to say the least having the high E string on top and the low E string on the bottom?.

Jimi Hendrix nearly always but not exclusively played blues on his Gibson flying V although his guitars were usually strung for a lefty as Jimi was.

Last edited:

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
I tried playing left-handed mainly trying to copy a blues hero of mine Albert King who played a Gibson flying V left-handed but it was strung as a right-handed guitar although it feels strange having the high E string on top and the low E string on the bottom?.
That must feel weird. I'm glad they do more Left handed guitars now. Weren't they harder to get back in the day?

The one there is an electric acoustic. I got a bundle with little amp and stuff to start learning. Can you use nylon strings on an electric acoustics?

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
That must feel weird. I'm glad they do more Left handed guitars now. Weren't they harder to get back in the day?
Yes I believe left-handed electric guitars were quite hard to find at least in England back in the 1960s & 1970s. Eric Clapton tells a story of 'coming across' a black left-handed Stratocaster in Denmark street (Tin Pan Alley) in London's west end in 1970 and buying it to give to Jimi Hendrix as left-handed 'Strats' were very rare to find but ultimately Hendrix died shortly after Eric had bought the guitar so it was never given to Jimi.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Yes I believe left-handed electric guitars were quite hard to find at least in England back in the 1960s & 1970s. Eric Clapton tells a story of 'coming across' a black left-handed Stratocaster in Denmark street (Tin Pan Alley) in London's west end in 1970 and buying it to give to Jimi Hendrix as left-handed 'Strats' were very rare to find but ultimately Hendrix died shortly after Eric had bought the guitar so it was never given to Jimi.
That sucks he died before he was given it. Couldn't Jimi play both left and right too?

I got my Gretsch Electromatic Jet left handed for a good price too. Fender also do an nice left hand range now throughout all their stuff.

I'm subbed to Fender play for learning. If you complete your streak (Practice at least 3 times a week) you can win a guitar if picked and that includes left handed ones. So a left handed Strat or Tele :D
https://play-support.fender.com/hc/...0312-What-is-the-Fender-Play-weekly-giveaway-

E-Z

Reaction score
That sucks he died before he was given it. Couldn't Jimi play both left and right too?
Obviously Jimi naturally played left-handed but I have read of various accounts of him maybe in a 'jam situation' with other musicians and not having a guitar with him so was handed a right-handed strung guitar and him then playing it left-handed but UP SIDE DOWN with the strings the wrong way around for him and still playing it well??. Totally mind blowing!!.

Fender guitars are great but I have a liking for Gibson guitars myself.

Mulberry

Dancing With Mr D!
Reaction score
Obviously Jimi naturally played left-handed but I have read of various accounts of him maybe in a 'jam situation' with other musicians and not having a guitar with him so was handed a right-handed strung guitar and him then playing it left-handed but UP SIDE DOWN with the strings the wrong way around for him and still playing it well??. Totally mind blowing!!.

Fender guitars are great but I have a liking for Gibson guitars myself.
I read that too. Where he would flip it upside down.

I wept at the price of Les Pauls :(

Edit: This is the closest I'll get to a Les Paul lol. Does change the character of my Gretsch but I don't know how close it is to the real thing

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online