Who here plays the guitar?

H

halcyon days

Drummer Chris said:
I started playing guitar when I was about 22, basically around 1989.
I had already grown up playing piano and had spent 6 yrs on drums at that point, my first guitar I bought was a yellow '73 Strat with a maple neck (U.S model) in Key West Fla.
Started with slide tunings like Open E and open G for some Stones and other blues stuff, since then I've owned many guitars including a re-issue Fender Duo-Sonic, a Gibson Les Paul, some no-name brands and some newer Strats including a nicen early 60's re-issue with a rosewood neck.
My playing is quite rusty lately as I've taken about a year "off" music, but hope to get a Tele soon which I will be playing daily.

DC that is cool that you started playing in your early 20s...good for you......and perhaps i still have a shot at learning the drums.......btw what does open e and g mean?

runtfan

Reaction score
I play some guitar. Bass is my main instrument, but I've been playing guitar really since my late teens. I took some lessons when I was about 12, but it didn't really take at that time. I picked it up again several years later. I'm mostly self-taught and I pick up whatever I can from watching guys that are better than me. I have no interest in playing leads - I'm strictly a rhythm type player. I love chords.
I've got a cheapo, bottom of the line Strat and a Mitchell acoustic/electric.

eccentric man

Reaction score
i just bought a new guitar recently. a vintage black esp ltd ec-1000. the name sounds kind of cheesy but the guitar is amazing.

Attachments

• EC1000-VTB_front.jpg
    EC1000-VTB_front.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 40

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I have a banged up old Rickenbacher bass I picked up at a pawn shop in Carlsbad California in 1980. Somewhat proficient...been in a couple of club bands, mostly blues. Dammit that thing weighs a ton.

Jack

runtfan

Reaction score
Sasquatch said:
I have a banged up old Rickenbacher bass I picked up at a pawn shop in Carlsbad California in 1980. Somewhat proficient...been in a couple of club bands, mostly blues. Dammit that thing weighs a ton.

Jack

When you die, can I have the Rick?? :D

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
I'm a lefty and have been playing since I was 15. I've owned a few guitars but finally got what I wanted a few years ago in a Fender Telecaster. I played one when I was 16 or 17 and fell in love with the tone. I started out playing a right handed guitar upside down without restringing it (like Albert King) and learned some chords, scales and a few songs that way but when I started taking lessons I restrung it and got my first left handed guitar soon after.

runtfan

Reaction score
TeleCat said:
I'm a lefty and have been playing since I was 15. I've owned a few guitars but finally got what I wanted a few years ago in a Fender Telecaster. I played one when I was 16 or 17 and fell in love with the tone. I started out playing a right handed guitar upside down without restringing it (like Albert King) and learned some chords, scales and a few songs that way but when I started taking lessons I restrung it and got my first left handed guitar soon after.

After playing a flipped over, un-restrung righty was it hard to get used to a real lefty? Lefties that just flip over a righty freak me out! :wtf: Nothing looks right when it's played that way.
BTW, I'm totally left-handed in every other aspect of my life except for playing bass/guitar. :grinthumb

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a setback. Since a lot is memorization I had to relearn everything. Bending strings was the hardest thing to relearn. I'd pull down on the B and high E string and my finger strenghth just wasn't there when I learned correctly since you must push up on the B and high E. The High E will go over the side of the fret board. I do have a wicked vibrato on the D and G strings though. Also the weight is all misproportioned when you flip it upside down, the knobs are in the way and the tremolo bar... I don't know how Hendrix managed.

runtfan

Reaction score
TeleCat said:
Yeah, it was a setback. Since a lot is memorization I had to relearn everything. Bending strings was the hardest thing to relearn. I'd pull down on the B and high E string and my finger strenghth just wasn't there when I learned correctly since you must push up on the B and high E. The High E will go over the side of the fret board. I do have a wicked vibrato on the D and G strings though. Also the weight is all misproportioned when you flip it upside down, the knobs are in the way and the tremolo bar... I don't know how Hendrix managed.

Yeah, I've jammed with a few lefties that played the flipped over righties and I asked them if it was weird, but that was the way they learned and were still playing, so they didn't have any other point of reference.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online