What was your first concert?

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
deezee said:
alan freed's big beat of 1958 (in the spring of that year) in nyc with chuck berry, jerry lee lewis and buddy holly amongst about 10-12 other acts.

I hereby annoint DeeZee with the Oldest Geezer (Geezette) Award, for attending the earliest Rock Concert of anyone on this board! :clap:

In 1958, my parents barely let me listen to Pat Boone!

My Dad was a jazz musician...& we lived in Bernardsville, the same town as the Dorsey Brothers of Big Band fame...not 35 miles outside of NY.

Anything remotely connected to Rn'R in the 1950's was considered the Devil's Music & boderline Communism by my family...& only Homosexual Beatniks from Greenwich Village would go to an Alan Freed Show playing what they called Race Music! :p

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
My first concert would've been The Beatles in 1964..... but, my Parental Units would not let me go and see my Favorite Band. They thought I was too young (8). And they were certainly --not-- going to take me.....

But, a little later.... when I found my next Favorite Band:
Led Zeppelin.... I actually had my Father drive me to the concert. I was 14 and the year was 1970.

Needless to say.... that concert rocked my life and set an incredibly high statndard to judge all future rock concerts by . . .

Some other Highlights of my Rock Concert-going career are:

ALICE COOPER -- KILLER TOUR

JETHRO TULL -- THICK AS A BRICK TOUR

DEEP PURPLE -- MACHINE HEAD TOUR

EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER -- BRAIN SALAD SURGERY TOUR

C,S,N,&Y - 1974

deezee

Reaction score
pooldude said:
I hereby annoint DeeZee with the Oldest Geezer (Geezette) Award, for attending the earliest Rock Concert of anyone on this board! :clap:

In 1958, my parents barely let me listen to Pat Boone!

My Dad was a jazz musician...& we lived in Bernardsville, the same town as the Dorsey Brothers of Big Band fame...not 35 miles outside of NY.

Anything remotely connected to Rn'R in the 1950's was considered the Devil's Music & boderline Communism by my family...& only Homosexual Beatniks from Greenwich Village would go to an Alan Freed Show playing what they called Race Music! :p

LMAO

well then it stands to reason having grown up in greenwich village (but not being homosexual) that i got to go. like yours, my dad was also a musician (weekend gig variety..never made his whole living doing it) and his reaction was just the opposite from yours. he decided that since his dad had never let him play jazz in the house, that his kids were going to be allowed to love any kind of music that they wanted. not only did he let me go to shows (my mom took me), but he drove me to the airport himself when i wanted to see the beatles land on his birthday, february 7 1964. never got along much, me and my dad, except when it came to the obsession with music. that he understood perfectly.

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
deezee said:
alan freed's big beat of 1958 (in the spring of that year) in nyc with chuck berry, jerry lee lewis and buddy holly amongst about 10-12 other acts.

That's awesome ! ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The only thing I would like to have been able to see more than that in the 20th Century would be the Big Bands of the 30's and the 40's . . .

squeedle53

Chunkadelic!
Reaction score
Man, I thought I had the geezer thing locked up! My first concert ever was Cream's Goodbye Tour in Nov. of '68. I was fifteen.
Congrats, DeeZee!

deezee

Reaction score
squeedle53 said:
Man, I thought I had the geezer thing locked up! My first concert ever was Cream's Goodbye Tour in Nov. of '68. I was fifteen.
Congrats, DeeZee!

that makes me about a year older than you squeedle53...great to know there are a few of us on here!

to all the other old "geezers" on this board..i always say that it was my luck to have been born at the right time and grow up in the right place to catch the best rock. let's face it. i had nothing to do with it. if my parents had lived in say iowa..i might have been 25 before i got to a major concert (meaning no offense to anyone from there). i can surmise that those on here of about the same age would have been to lots of the same concerts i got to see if they had had the opportunity to be closer to where the music was playing. even as a kid i could take a subway or bus to any music event going on in nyc. by the time i was 16 i'd been to well over 50-70 concerts and shows including most of the dick clark shows..all of the murray the k shows at the brooklyn fox, the beatles 5 times, early acoustic bob dylan shows and then his concert at forest hills tennis stadium where he went electric, jimi hendrix at one of his gigs at the cafe wha? , the lovin' spoonful at the nightowl cafe (it was about the size of a starbucks), buffalo springfield opening for the byrds, the doors at steve paul's the scene, etc etc etc. when the fillmore east opened my friend's older sister worked for the joshua light show so we got into most of those shows for free until she left quit that job. after that we paid to see whoever we wanted to there if we could scrape up the money. there wasn't anyone i didn't get to see in a small club. my only regret was turning down the chance to see elvis because he was considerd way too "uncool" in the late 60's.
damn i miss those times. it was all so easy to see great music every night..no ticketbastard to deal with. just go out and buy a ticket ..then walk in and see the music.
as the song goes "those were the days my friend"........we never knew we had it so good.

Otto

racing fool
Reaction score
first concert?

May 1972, LA Forum.

Headliner, Black Sabbath
Openers, Yes and Wild Turkey.

runtfan

Reaction score
ZZ Top (Deguello tour) and the Alvin Lee Band in '79 or '80

Find member

Latest posts