What Do You Consider To Be An Original Lineup?

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Fair question. What do you consider to be the "original" lineup of a band?

I raise this question because sometimes it can be murky depending on which group is in question. For a lot of people who don't study bands in-depth, they simply refer to the lineup on a band's first recording, which is typically either a single or a full album.

However, some bands have been known to have members who either wrote with them or gigged with them before they ever signed a record deal or made a recording. Maybe they were around for a few months or maybe it was a few years. And by the time that band did sign a deal or record any music, that person was gone.

So other than old stories and photos, there isn't much to document their time with that group. These type of members usually become a footnote and fans who really study that band are obviously aware of their brief history but the casual fan doesn't know any different. Hell, some bands who linger around for a few years before getting anywhere may have a few of these "temp" members pass through.

Then you have scenarios such as The Beatles who have at least one recording with Pete Best and AC/DC who have at least one recording with Dave Evans, who was singing in the band before Bon Scott. But aside from that, there is little else.

What I'm looking for here is your thoughts on this topic and also any examples pertaining to one group or another that you'd like to share in support of your particular opinion.

I'll open this by saying that even though I study the history of most groups I enjoy, I am one of those who generally leans toward whoever happens to be on the first recording, which obviously some here won't agree with.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Generally I consider the original lineup of a band to be the lineup that was there for the recording of their debut album.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I never really started studying a band's history until I joined a music forum. Infact, the original band line up never entered into my mind much until I started paying attention to who was in a band. Before that all I did was listen to the music.

Pondering the thoughts on who is the original line up, the obvious answer would be who was on the Debut album. But in reality, the original band would be whomever were the members at the band's creation.

To contradict myself would be Genesis, which I consider the years with Phil Collins as lead singer the original or most successful line up. My first listening experience with Genesis was the album "And Then There Were Three". So I consider this the [original] Genesis. Actually I like Genesis when the band only had three members. Duke being my favorite album.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Debut album....hmmm

Some may argue Pink Floyd (Gilmour) or Fleetwood Mac (Buckingham/Nicks) against this...but it makes sense to me. :grinthumb

Drifter

Reaction score
To contradict myself would be Genesis, which I consider the years with Phil Collins as lead singer the original or most successful line up. My first listening experience with Genesis was the album "And Then There Were Three". So I consider this the [original] Genesis. Actually I like Genesis when the band only had three members. Duke being my favorite album.

The Collins-led Genesis was your introduction to the band and the most commercially successful but far from the original line-up. In fact, Collins wasn't even a member of the band for their first two albums. Have you explored them when Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were in the band? An entirely different beast. Usually Genesis fans love one or the other but seldom both versions of the group.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Drifter, I actually dont have the first 2 albums in my collection. My collection begins with "Nursery Cryme" and Collins was drummer at that time. I am ashamed to admit I haven't explored the first 2 albums, since I am a Genesis fan. Therefore, I cant say I dont like the original Genesis, since I am not familiar with the beginning.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I consider the original lineup to be the first lineup that records material, anything more than a couple tracks. But that doesn't mean it's the best lineup.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online