What Did You Listen To In The 80's?

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I listened to a little bit of many things.
In the early 80’s, my parents still controlled the car and home stereo so Johnny Cash, The Carpenters, Jim Croce and AM radio top 40 was heard almost daily. And The Beatles.
By 1984, I was gaining more independence in many ways. Listening to album oriented rock with some friends, new wave pop/rock with other friends. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Ted Nugent, Cheap Trick, The Police, Men At Work, Elvis Costello, FM top 40. And The Beatles. And then I started buying about two albums a week. Mostly the usual rock artists of the 70’s and some current releases from rock artists. Oh, and albums from The Beatles. And former Beatles releases.
By the late 80’s I was mature enough and confident enough, I would listen to and began collecting music I sort of shyed away from earlier in the decade. When bands like Duran Duran and Tears For Fears began to gain success, I was really not completely interested in buying their albums. But just a few years later, I could see their talent and appreciate the music enough that I listened with interest and would buy their albums.
By the late 80’s I had expendable income and was listening to and buying a lot. 60’s and 70’s rock, new and used records and some cds. Going back and discovering and giving serious attention to music’s past. Heavy doses Rush, Journey, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, the careers of the former members of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Cheap Trick. Current bands of the decade REM, U2, Billy Squier. Very little country music. That would be later. In the 90’s.
It might be easier to identify what I was not listening to in the 80’s.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online