What Are Your Top 5 Death Metal Bands ?

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
My Top 5 Favorite Death Metal Bands.

I'm an old fart so these bands are definitely old school.
With the possible exception of the last band.
There are a lot of very cool and talented Death Metal bands but these 5 are the ones I find going in an out of my favorite 3 list year after year.

1. Morbid Angel ,
First Death Metal band I really got. Covenant grabbed me by the balls and has never let go. I noticed an ad of them playing semi locally a couple days after buying Covenant used and that was it ....hooked for life.

2. Death,
After really getting into MA the hunt was on for more quality, related , extreme material. What do I need to say about Chuck and Company ...Nothing !! Pure Bad Ass !!

3. Autopsy,
Grimy, Brutal , Weird, Vicious, Awesome. Not for the faint of heart. Defintely for me. Such wicked ear candy it's has to be heard to be understood.

4. Hypocrisy,
A killer mix of brutality and melody....the harshness is balanced by swirling hallucinogenic, other dimention like atmosphere. Whether the lyrical focus is on alien abductions , government conspiracy, seeing life through the eyes of a killer or some other dark matter, Hypocrisy never lose sight of the musical elements that make them special. Love this band.

5. Behemoth,
Sumerian Godz return with full on, all out, brutal force. Some of the most awesome extreme music ever laid to tape , IMO. This Blacked Death Metal hybrid is unique enough to be it's own beast forging its own path. Never thought I'd say that blowing horns, Gaberial's or otherwise, works in this kind of music. Killer & highly creative.

Ok, so there are many other worthy Death Metal bands. Let's see your lists .......

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Cannibal Corpse - One of the most consistently solid bands in the sub-genre with barely anything considered sub-par. Known for gory song titles, album art and lyrics CC have always pushed the boundaries which I respect. Savage riffs, great bass work, solid drum performances and excellent vocal range from George Fisher. The Barnes era albums have arguably their best material but for me albums like Gallery and Bloodthirst are their best.

2. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick got me proper hooked on not just Morbid Angel but Death Metal overall along with Altars of Madness. A clear Slayer influence in the sound and some excellent riff work on their first 3 albums and especially the Tucker albums like Formulas and Gateways.

3. Psycroptic - Tasmania, Australia band that packs some great thrashy style Death Metal with great screaming vocals and an underrated discography overall. Technical Death Metal in good form. Self titled album is a great one to check out with some of their best riffs.

4. Dying Fetus - These Tech-Death geniuses know how to put together solid music. Their newest release Wrong One To **** With alone is worth checking out from this band but overall a very good discography with next to 0 blemishes. Even their EPs are must haves.

5. Vader - Pretty much have remained in my top 5 Death Metal bands since I got into them years back. You can't really go wrong with any of their albums actually but my favourite would have to be albums like their debut The Ultimate Incantation and Litany.

It was hard to list just 5 but these would be my 5 at the moment.

Vader

Reaction score
Great list , Riff..nice to see others opinions and influences. All bands that have blasted out of my speakers numerous times.
Specter of the Ancients is massive.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Man, that is such a tough question. There was a time in my life when I was obsessed with extreme metal. I still love it, especially some of the classic stuff, but I do not listen to it as much as I used to. While I absolutely loved the death metal coming out of Florida, like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary etc., growing up in Scandinavia, I also listened to a lot of Scandinavian and European death metal like Carcass, Bolt Thrower etc.

I hate making lists, because I'm terrible at narrowing band lists down to five, there's just too many great bands, but the following five have been among my favourite death metal bands for years and are the ones I find myself listening to the most these days:

Entombed
Dismember
Vader
Nile
Belphegor

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going to have to add some honourable mentions as 5 doesn't do my list justice. lol

Disentomb - A Brutal Death Metal band from Brisbane, Australia who take guttural vocals to ridiculous heights and just searing pace in their two albums. Not for the faint of heart much like Autopsy as Vader said.

Autopsy - Speaking of them I love their discography and overall unique slower style of Death Metal. Evil, dirty, gritty, raw can be used to describe their music and at times a doomy style slow tempo. You can hear the Black Sabbath influence especially in earlier albums.

Bolt Thrower - Under-appreciated band with a catalogue of great albums right through. I'd pick out an album like The IVth Crusade.

Internal Devour - Another Australian band that does Brutal Death Metal just as good as Disentomb.

Immolation - I have been getting a lot more albums by this band and their newest one kicks serious arse. Another from around that old school era.

Vader

Reaction score
**** yeah, love this list @Sharp Dressed Man..
All the above bands are top level favorites of mine.
Dismember nearly made my top five ...love Swedish and European Death Metal as well, as my usename and the inclusion
of Hypocrisy and Behemoth on my list obviously indicates.
Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully more lists to follow but if not ...oh well..ha

Vader

Reaction score
Nice discription of Autopsy , Riff. They have a certain slimely almost loose structural thing ( without being sloppy ) about them too that makes them really kinda strange and hard to put a finger on, but yeah...other than the indefinable ...you nailed it.

Last edited:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
@Vader this wasn't easy at all brain cells meltdown..............here it is?

Acid Bath
At The Gates
Cannibal Corpse
Entombed
In Flames

narrowly below but its close to the FIVE!

Job For A Cowboy
Goatwhore
Amon Amarth

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
**** I forgot Krisiun. I just put myself on the list.

Vader

Reaction score
Honorable Mentions;
Asphyx
Dismember
Obituary
Nile
Krisiun
Atheist
Origin
Unleashed