Thread Closed What Are You Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nails - Unsilent Death
0003128662.jpg

An album running only 13 minutes but its savage and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think I'll start posting here again:

Yesterdays albums:

Yesterday was NIN Night:

Broken & Ghost I-IV
R-4400-1297399714.jpeg.jpgNine_Inch_Nails_-_Ghosts_I-IV.png

Notes: I revisited the Broken EP and I used to think it was Trent's heaviest work. I was more into Trent's harsher experimental stuff that had loud bursts of noise and his Pop version of Industrial. Revisiting this it's so tame but I enjoyed it. The riffs were more straight forward to the point they wouldn't be losrt on a Audioslave album. It fits into the Pretty Hate Machine so much more which makes the album that followed "The Downward Spiral" seem like that much moire of a jump. When I posted this on facebook a friend recommended Ghost I-IV as some of the most interesting things Trent has done since TDS. I actually owned that album and just about everything Trent has done but only listened to that instrumental album as a one off. Instrumentals are pleasant and rarely grab me. I opened up my mind and it must've synced with my mood as I listened to both disc and really dug it more this time. It was soothing and then it laid some great grooves. A great grab bag of excellent music pieces I'd recommend. This one stood out to me at the time as a sludgy groove I could get down with.

Ghost 8

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Today I had three purchases come in that I was very happy with. First a vinyl of an epic band at it's most epic:

30 Seconds To Mars

17359167_10155127490636974_2326407756607163184_o.jpg

The whole of this album shoots and scores exploding into the stratosphere of epicness a band that performs Space Rock charged anthems should. It was recorded in the midst of real life drama (battle against their label) and that drama carried into the making. Theirs a passion behind this album I really connect to and a cohesive blend of elements thrown in that takes you on a journey. From the collection of fan vocals and choruses from around the world to the tribal chanting outro the album has little effort to confine itself. Jared Leto has that energy, range and passion behind his vocal that Bono has and perhaps the pretentiousness that Bono has been accused of except any modern band trying to do the same gets labelled as tripe. The song I favor the most is this transcendent healer with should move anyone that has a soul:

Alibi

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
My two CD purchases were new albums by Laura Marling and Bush:

Laura Marling-Semper Femina
MnOBWPRNpAz8aC4vTMdgM5Bb-na_7eZ92_RcAg1tjFtCRrsPnw.jpg

Laura Marling is one of the most gifted songwriters today starting at a young age. her first critically acclaimed album, her debut, se was just 17. I first fell for her work on the third album Once I was An Eagle a storytelling album that was one of the most seamless folk storytellers I'd ever heard. The closest style I can compare it to is the solo work by Aimee Mann. The new album was very nice on first listen. I think I'll grow to like it quite a bit. :)

Nothing, Not Nearly

Bush-Black and White Rainbows
unspecified.jpg

This is a decent first listen but it's not the Bush you know. They've softened a lot which is fine but about the only thing Bush like is Gavins vocals. I love soft ballady fuzzy Rock but this doesn't change tempo enough for me and kind of drags. I should try it again to be fair and it could be a grower but that's my first impression after a day of strong music.

Lastly, this is a full album link sent to me by a friend on facebook that I listened to. The group Of Montreal created a concept album of decadence and frantic mood swings in a sexual charged alter ego not unlike something Bowie would create:

Of Montreal-Skeletal Lamping

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quite the haul today.
Sabaton - Heroes
Suicide Silence - The Black Crown
Nails - Unsilent Death
Nails - Abandon all Life
Chimaira - Resurrection
Fates Warning - Disconnected
Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man
Hour of Penance - Paradogma

@Soot and Stars mentions of NIN in the other thread inspired me to grab some albums. Got two.
NIN - Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth.
Nine-Inch-Nails-Pretty-Hate-Machine1.jpgNine_Inch_Nails_-_With_Teeth.png

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I don't want to be redundant but here's a less detailed version of my recent purchases this week:

30 Seconds To Mars-This Is War (Vinyl)
61TlzoM3tLL._SY300_.jpg

Ed Sheeran-÷(Divide), Laura Marling-Semper Femina, Bush-Black and White Rainbows (CDs)
divide-u-iext47442734.jpg
R-9918357-1488546076-4344.jpeg.jpgR-9941511-1488927297-5715.jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online