Van Halen - Eruption Guitar Cover by a 14yr old girl!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
She's OK .. not great, not bad.... but pretty good for 14. It's strange that I have seen this posted about 10 times on various guitar/music websites in the past day and i'm wondering why? :confused:

Because all of the old men are going "She's young and a girl. Gives me hope for rock music."

At least from what I noticed in the Youtube comments anyway. She is really much more of a Steve Vai sounding player than an Eddie Van Halen though.

Incidently, I like her take on "Hotel California" more and she was much younger when she recorded it.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
She's got the technique down pretty well but it completely lacks the groove and feel. Kind of sounds like a machine generated version of an outake.

Still, not the worst attempt at that I've ever heard.

3/10

EDIT

Couldn't make it through Norwegian Wood. Yikes.

If she keeps with it she might just turn out to be an interesting guitar player.

Let's see you do it. :wank:

Khor1255

Reaction score
Oh, boy I was waiting for when that witty remark was going to be brought out.

So, let me get this straight, I am unqualified to comment on art unless I can paint the Mona Lisa? I am unqualified to comment on the taste of food unless I am a master chef? Or maybe I am unqualified to vote unless I am a professional politician?

In this case I said her technique was not bad but the execution was horrible. You disagree with that? You think it sounds anything other than stiff and disjointed?

Khor1255

Reaction score
but her ability to understand her timing, syncopation, and the 'feel' as she's playing.
These are precisely what is wrong with this version. And Norwegian Wood?

Timing, syncopation, groove? All satisfactory to you?

Really?

This is exactly what is wrong with today's music. People aren't being judged on their actual artistic output but on whether they look cute doing it or are doing something unusual for their age, race, gender etc.

In short, they are being judged on everything EXCEPT their actual musical output.

Reaction score
Here is a clip of Chelsea Constable, A female, young and smokes the living crap out of that first kid posted, yet Chelsea gets zero coverage! :bonk:
The only problem I find with this clip is she needs to turn up a couple notches as you can still hear her hit the strings.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
These are precisely what is wrong with this version. And Norwegian Wood?

Timing, syncopation, groove? All satisfactory to you?

Really?

This is exactly what is wrong with today's music. People aren't being judged on their actual artistic output but on whether they look cute doing it or are doing something unusual for their age, race, gender etc.

In short, they are being judged on everything EXCEPT their actual musical output.

Even if I was blindfolded and listened to the video it wouldn't change my opinion, she did a good job with a very demanding guitar piece.

It has nothing to do with her gender, race, ethnic background, she can simply play guitar.

Reaction score
That's right LG, she did a "good" job ... nothing more, nothing less.

If we forget about, age, gender, race, blah blah blah .. we're still left with an OK version, it's not fkn awesome and it's not fkn terrible... it does lack flow, it does lack EVH's "feel"
it does lack "the natural, feel like I fully understand what i'm doing here and i'm going to own this" .... Chelsea's version is WAY better, and yet Chelsea wasn't on the front page of NBC today, or Guitar World magazines website etc like this kid is .. and IF anybody wants to go search there are hundreds if not thousands of supremely talented young kids playing all types of instruments on Youtube..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I didn't listen to the video you posted last Rattlesnake, and I know a guitarist can hear things and offer insight us mere mortals(like me I can't play a lick...:D) cannot but I would compliment anyone who could take a stab at that particular solo and not destroy it.

An old friend of Magic's and mine, "Buckethead" posted some fantastic guitar covers, he was only 16 but we both thought he was really talented.

I'll listen to Chelsea's vid later when I have more time and comment.:hab:

Khor1255

Reaction score
I agree. But if no one tells her she has something but needs something more she might just fizzle out when the novelty wears off.

The second girl actually did a really decent job. She nailed a lot of the licks but most importantly maintained the flow and meter of the piece without losing much of the fire along the way.

That chick can play.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online