Van Halen - Eruption Guitar Cover by a 14yr old girl!

gguerra

Reaction score
I thought some of you would get a kick out of this

Kind of makes you think what Eddie went through to get to that level.

Read more here

Khor1255

Reaction score
She's got the technique down pretty well but it completely lacks the groove and feel. Kind of sounds like a machine generated version of an outake.

Still, not the worst attempt at that I've ever heard.

3/10

EDIT

Couldn't make it through Norwegian Wood. Yikes.

If she keeps with it she might just turn out to be an interesting guitar player.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think she did a fine job on Eruption, she should keep practicing who knows where she'll end up.

Khor1255

Reaction score
For a fourteen year old? Absolutely! I couldn't even play Bastille Day very well on drums at that age. But reading through the linked article I became acutely aware that stuff posted on Youtube gets a somehow elevated status over just hearing some random teen doing a cover. I have heard much much better from people of her age but I agree her chops are impressive and she should stick with it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is amazing, I wonder if he played before he lost his right hand?

I like both the 14 year old's take and John's, but nobody will ever surpass the original. When VH's debut was released I was in the record shop when they opened the first shipment. The clerk pulled out a record, unsealed it and put it on the turntable.

That is the only time I've ever witnessed about a dozen people in the record shop, stop what they were doing and look at which album was playing. 6 of us walked out with a copy right there.:heheh:

And to finish the story, less than a year later VH toured in Edmonton to a packed house and blew us all away one of the best live shows I've ever experienced.:bow:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
This young girl is very good, and it's not just about playing, but her ability to understand her timing, syncopation, and the 'feel' as she's playing.

The original though is still sheer genius....

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^That is amazing, I wonder if he played before he lost his right hand?

I like both the 14 year old's take and John's, but nobody will ever surpass the original. When VH's debut was released I was in the record shop when they opened the first shipment. The clerk pulled out a record, unsealed it and put it on the turntable.

That is the only time I've ever witnessed about a dozen people in the record shop, stop what they were doing and look at which album was playing. 6 of us walked out with a copy right there.:heheh:

And to finish the story, less than a year later VH toured in Edmonton to a packed house and blew us all away one of the best live shows I've ever experienced.:bow:

Yeah man, I can remember on evening in early '78, a buddy of mine from school called me up right after dinner and said "dude, you might wanna get your ass around here now I got a new record you're flip out on" and so I got on my bike and high tailed it around to his house and he put the record on and ... I was in disbelief to say the least when Eruption played, I was convinced it was a keyboard synth. I had been playing guitar for 4 years when I heard that and I just couldn't fathom how on earth that "noise" was being made by a guitar :oyea:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Feminine rocks...

Of course, NOTHING can be like the original. I thought she was a bit off but hey at least she gave it a go and was not a disaster. Kudos to her for picking up the guitar. I wish her nothing but to get better at it and pick up other styles of playing.

My first exposure to Van Halen was their cover of "You Really Got Me" and found out later that The Kinks were the originals. Amazing debut all around. Not one weak song in the bunch IMO.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online