Underrated Bands

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you're saying. But you'd think that if they played them in Baltimore back then, they'd also play them in LA and every other major city...unless they were a local band from Baltimore who only got airplay there.

I think regional airplay is very difficult to predict. I know of several bands that were played in Dallas and the central Texas area (San Antonio and Austin) that didn't get much exposure elsewhere. Zebra had some play, but not much.

Bands like Axe, Moxy, Garfield, Legs Diamond and many others were played here a lot, but I'm not sure how wide spread their influence was elsewhere.

tkitna

Reaction score
The Buckinghams

When people see the name Buckinghams, they instantly think of the hits like 'Kind Of A Drag', 'Don't You Care', 'Hey Baby (They're Playing Our Song)', and 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy', but they were way more than that. 'Time And Charges' is a great album that has that signature Buckinghams sound with the horns and so forth, but it has some killer stuff on it. Here's a favorite of mine off of it.

Then with the album 'Portraits', they flat out rocked. Hard to believe its the Buckinghams.

'In One Ear And Gone Tomorrow' was a mismatch of stuff album, but there is some gems there too.

If there was ever a band that upset me because they didn't have enough output, it would be the Buckinghams. Only 4 albums? Come on.

(I don't count the later stuff when they were old and got back together. I want more from when they were in their prime.)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
In their day The Fleur De Lys a band from Southampton England. They had a run in the 60's and I reckon they knocked some tasty tunes out.

Reflections (album)

They had a great guitar man in the ranks. :D

Khor1255

Reaction score
I only know what I know. I didn't live in both cities in the 80s but I also remember hearing that Angel Witch was played on LA stations and I never heard them on a Maryland station so I guess there is some regional difference. For instance, in 85 when I was in Basic Training in Georgia the radio there played the hell out of REO Speedwagon. They were played in Baltimore but not really all that often.

tkitna

Reaction score
In their day The Fleur De Lys a band from Southampton England. They had a run in the 60's and I reckon they knocked some tasty tunes out.

Reflections (album)

They had a great guitar man in the ranks. :D

I like Les Fleur De Lys. I fell in love with 'Circles' some time ago, but haven't followed through with getting any more of their stuff. I'll remedy that tonight.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ I think there were quite a few characters came and went in the band but the guitar player I'm thinking of is Phil Sawyer. I think Jeff Beck names him as one he admired in the 60's.

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you're saying. But you'd think that if they played them in Baltimore back then, they'd also play them in LA and every other major city...unless they were a local band from Baltimore who only got airplay there.

I would hear them occasionally here in Rockford, IL. The old Y-95 used to play "Who's Behind the Door" every now and again back in the 80's. I always thought they (Zebra) were a really good forgotten and underrated band.

Last edited:

Khor1255

Reaction score
I'll second early Fleetwood Mac (the only version I'm really crazy about) and CANNED FREAKIN HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That band always gets me going.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
I'll second early Fleetwood Mac (the only version I'm really crazy about) and CANNED FREAKIN HEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That band always gets me going.

I agree, the late Fleetwood Mac is a more commercial/pop band in my opinion.

The early Fleetwood Mac was the real deal. I've heard stories of a bad acid party in Munich that made Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and the other guitarist (I forget his name), all leave the band. The 3rd guitarist had to go to a hospital to recover from the bad acid I believe.

And Canned Heat was an amazing boogie band. Once Alan Wilson died in 1970 I feel like they never truly recovered. Alan was an amazing blues perfectionist, with a very high one-of-a-kind voice that is almost impossible to duplicate.

But Alan Wilson also dealt with his own personal demons. He even wrote a song about his depression and such called "Human Condition". The song was written about his experience with a psychiatrist after his second suicide attempt.

Studio version of "Human Condition":

Live version of "Human Condition":

The live version posted above is the last known footage of Alan Wilson performing. He would be found dead 2 months later...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.