Turisas (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
TURISAS%20NEW%20LOGO.jpg

Turisas is a metal band from Finland and one I have been into for quite sometime now. The band has three very distinctive styles, Power, Symphonic and Folk metal combined. Due to their first album and song of the same name "Battle Metal" the band seems to have created yet another genre in the long series of metal sub-genres already known.

turisas_1650_photo.jpg

Official Website

Battle Metal (2004)
The Varangian Way (2007)
Stand Up and Fight (2011)

At present the band has three albums since they began their recording career in 2004. I have been into many bands over the years and have always held bands like Rhapsody (Of Fire) in high standings in the symphonic metal community...and still do...but I have come to a conclusion that Turisas may be the best of this genre

They, IMO, seem to posess a more thoughful approach at song structure and coming up with new ways to express melody and take the listener by surprise. Another interesting thing about their music is instead of guitar solos the listener is mainly treated to a violin solo. I also hear, and this just may be me an influence taken from musicals. In many moments I can sometimes hear a Webber/Rice influence and styles of JC Superstar as well as the stylings of authentic classical music and score composition.

61mMw75BKIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61qJXp7C%2B3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61AA4mx5LRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hope to find more fans of this killer band or at least recruit some more followers....Let's hear your warcry!!

BATTLE METAL!!!

Venetoi! Prasinoi!

The Great Escape

Turisas.jpg

Turisas02.jpg

Turisas.jpg

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Turisas

That was an odd single for them....:heheh:

Considering the body of work they have put out. It was a single. Warlord Nygard said he was watchiing a band play and they broke into this song. He thought it would be a good fit...I guess it's been part of their live show for a long time and then they recorded a single for it.

Harkat

Reaction score

I do thank you for making a thread on these guys MP, I have had my eye on them for some time, mainly looking at their folk metal aspect but my eyes have been cleared now!
Its great to hear all the different styles that they play, and they play them with skill!
Mathias Nygård and Jussi Wickström have founded a fine band here!
Thanks again MP! :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

This is a band that I haven't listened to in quite a while. Looks like i've got some more music to get. The Great Escape was the first song that got me hooked.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Thanks Harkat!! It's a thread I've been wanting to make for quite a while now. Oh and P & C, The Great Escape is one of my favorites.

Now who's up for Hunting Pirates!? :pirate:

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I just got Stand Up and Fight earlier today and have given it a listen. Going to listen to it fully tomorrow. It's fantastic!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

How 'bout it??? It floored me...they just keep getting better!!

Let' go back to the first release.

Among Ancestors

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

My favorite off that album has to be this:

Land of Hope and Glory

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads