Tremonti says new Van Halen Album Sounds Like Old School Van Halen

OzzyVanHalen

Reaction score
Yesterday, a bit more details emerged as Tremonti called in to Ross Ford's morning radio show on 94.3 KILO in Colorado and spoke more about his recent trip to 5150.

Describing more about the experience, Mark says, "Wolfie asked if me and my buddy Eric wanted to go checkout rehearsals the next day over at his dad's house. And I said (laughs) "Of course!" (laughs) So he picked me up the next day and we drove to this big, gated home and we get to 5150 studios. It was just me, my buddy Eric, Wolfie and Eddie in one room, and then Alex was in the other room behind some plexiglass, and then they played down the entire new album. What makes it so great is that they took what they could from all their old demos back in the 80's and pretty much did what they could to create songs out of old ideas, so it sounds like vintage Van Halen. Musically it sounds in the [early '80's] era. I didn't hear any vocals - David was not there.

It was just the three of them and the music sounded like very authentic, old school Van Halen. It was a just a crazy experience to sit there and watch. Eddie was four feet from me, and Wolfie was on the other side. The guys were very excited to be doing what they’re doing.

‘I remember commenting on Wolfgang’s bass parts – I said, “Man, that was a great chordal thing you did at the end there.” And then Eddie looked at me and said, “Wha..wha..wha.. how was MY part?” (laughs) [I said], “Dude, you’re Eddie Van Halen. Your part is incredible every single time! (laughs). He was very, very nice. I couldn’t have had a better experience.”

When talking about his friendship with Wolfgang, Mark says, “He’s just a good, good guy. Every time I see him he’s a very positive, humble guy. Being the son of Eddie Van Halen, you don’t know what you’d expect, but he’s the nicest guy in the world. He’s more talented than anybody. He’s a drummer, guitar player, bass player, and great singer.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'm looking forward to the new album...whenever they decide to release it. I really don't know anything about Wolfgang, except he has good bloodlines so hopefully VH fans both old and young give him a fair chance.

Mr. T

Reaction score
How ever it turns out, it HAS to be better than Van Halen III :heheh: Anxious to hear it also.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Thoughts of Sammy Hagars book "Red" Echo in my mind about how much crap has to go on with these studio get togethers with the Halens.. It's been a long time since anything came out of them and I'm going to be the doubting Thomas here and say funny this comes up right at the same time as Chickenfoot's second CD is hitting the market.
But I still hope they can pull this off.. But there is too much BS still left for me to think other wise..

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
It's good to hear that the music is everything we would expect out of Van Halen but the vocals are the part that I've always been concerned with for this album. Dave's voice doesn't sound like the kind that would age all too well. He hasn't put anything out in some time so I can't actually gauge what he sounds like. Plus of course Michael Anthony isn't there so what the backing vocals will sounds like concerns me but is thus far a mystery.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thoughts of Sammy Hagars book "Red" Echo in my mind about how much crap has to go on with these studio get togethers with the Halens.. It's been a long time since anything came out of them and I'm going to be the doubting Thomas here and say funny this comes up right at the same time as Chickenfoot's second CD is hitting the market.
But I still hope they can pull this off.. But there is too much BS still left for me to think other wise..

Sammy is not the most stable/reliable individual either. He seems to enjoy the spotlight as much as Gene Simmons.

I don't think Chickenfoot releasing their 2nd album will affect what VH's plans are for their new CD, although it's been so much BS so far with nothing concrete to show if it goes on for a few more months I'll consider putting it in the "Chinese Democracy" file...:D

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Sammy is not the most stable/reliable individual either. He seems to enjoy the spotlight as much as Gene Simmons.

Negative kind sir.. IF you read Sammy's book you would know first off.. He has done alot more than just been a musician.. He was the guy who brought Mountain bikes onto the scene.. He and a partner took a 10 speed and converted it to what is now known as the mountain bike.. It made him lots of dough.. Then he opened a small Cantina in Mexico that he found a guy who made the famous Cabo Wabo Tequila which he sold to Smirnoff for around 70 million..
He has done quite well financially.. His whole thing working with Eddie and Alex was a total crash course in too much partying and high hopes but no results.. Many a mistake was made just cutting the albums they did when he joined the group.. Sammy is not a big drinker nor does he over do it with drugs..

He's like gold compared to Eddie Van Halen who may have made a come back.. But he's no where close to the guy he was when Van Halen first started out..
Don't get me started on David Roth.. Just listen to the lyrics on the Van Halen albums that David did.. That's Roth..
Listen to the lyrics on the albums Sammy did with the Halen boys.. That's Sammy.. Big difference!!
Neither Eddie or Alex write the lyrics..:cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I will give you the knowledge about Sammy after reading his book which I have not and have no intention of doing...but his last few flurries of...over the top press releases interviews do not give him that much credibility. He seemed to come across as an attention seeker at any cost, which to me diminished his status.

I am not a fan of Van Hagar, Van Halen Mk I is far and away the best line-up and I will always think so.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Van Hagar, Van Halen Mk I is far and away the best line-up and I will always think so.

Agreed.. Nothing beats the orinal Van halen because it was the best for it's time..
I was sad to read such disappointing things about Eddie and Alex.. Sammy may have been going on too much about the bad sides of them in his book, but you make your own bed..
Media press pretty much showed how far gone Eddie had become.. Alex rehabed and cleaned up.. BUT lacked what he had when he was drunk all the time.. Really sad no matter what!!
Now your left with hard feelings because Mike sided with Sammy and they still have started another successful group..
A terrible waste but what can you expect since Sammy has always been a threat to the Van Halens..

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.