Tony Iommi wants to do another Sabbath album

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
classicrockmagazine.com

Tony Iommi would love to record a follow-up to Black Sabbath’s latest album 13 – but he knows the future of the band is dependent on his health.

The cancer victim continues to receive medical attention for his illness, and that’s put a limit on how much he can achieve.

Asked whether there’s more music to come from Sabbath, Iommi tells CT.com: “It’s a question that’s been asked a few times. I don’t really have an answer. Because of my treatments and stuff I can’t commit to doing another two years or anything like that. I have to play it as it comes now.”

But he adds: “I’m really enjoying it. If the rest of the year goes well, then we’ll look at it and see if it’s possible to do another album. It would be very nice to.

“You can’t beat that feeling of walking onstage, especially with your old mates, you know. I think it’s better than it was 40 years ago.”

Frontman Ozzy Osbourne recently admitted he’d “die a happy man” if 13 proved to be Sabbath’s swan song, but also stated the band’s future was down to Iommi and his health.

Meanwhile, the guitarist says the band could play the new album live in full at some point in the future.

He reflects: “I think the songs fit in great with the old stuff, and it’s also great to have new songs to fit in, because we haven’t had any for so many years.

“As far as the whole album – we haven’t tried that yet, but I’d be up for doing the whole thing.

“That’s how we recorded it, so that’s how we can play it. It’s an album that’s not impossible to do; we didn’t go into the studio and put loads of stuff on. Is is live, so we could go on and play any of those songs.”

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Better if they could do one with Bill Ward for a true reunion or not an album at all as good as 13 is.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That would be the best way to go about it...but after reading MP's post in the Sabbath thread about Ozzy finally coming out and telling some of the story I can understand why things just didn't work out. If Ward has gained that much weight added to the fact he's so rusty behind the kit he needs post-it notes to remember certain things then maybe it is just better to carry on without him.

Unless he gets into shape, plays his drums to get the Sabbath feel again and is medically cleared to go on tour.

All this is speculative and totally dependent on Iommi's health. One thing about cancer I've learned over the years, even when you think you've beat it...it can come back with a vengeance.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^That would be the best way to go about it...but after reading MP's post in the Sabbath thread about Ozzy finally coming out and telling some of the story I can understand why things just didn't work out. If Ward has gained that much weight added to the fact he's so rusty behind the kit he needs post-it notes to remember certain things then maybe it is just better to carry on without him.

Unless he gets into shape, plays his drums to get the Sabbath feel again and is medically cleared to go on tour.

All this is speculative and totally dependent on Iommi's health. One thing about cancer I've learned over the years, even when you think you've beat it...it can come back with a vengeance.

Agreed it will all depend on his health state. I would love though to see an album again with Ward on it. Wilk did a great job for the shoes he had to fill but the reunion tag is just ridiculous when it never actually was one.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
One of my first reactions to 13 was that one more album would iron out the creases, but since Tony Iommi's interview for CR, I get the impression that he is more ill than I originally thought. Now, I just hope he gets better.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronPasch

Members online