Tommy Bolin

gguerra

Reaction score
I have Private Eyes, it's a great album

17845.jpg

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
RIP, a great talent, lost wayyyyyyy too soon. His playing was consistently fantastic (when he was clean, anyway). I'm one of the few people who puts Come Taste the Band amongst the band's best work :]

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
^^^ When I first heard Love Child I thought Ritchie was playing there until I bought Come Taste The Band. I was like "whaaaaat? That was Tommy? No way!".

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
^^^ When I first heard Love Child I thought Ritchie was playing there until I bought Come Taste The Band. I was like "whaaaaat? That was Tommy? No way!".

That little jam with Paicey he has on the 35th anniversary reissue of CTtB is awesome, the guy spews out some awesome licks.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
That little jam with Paicey he has on the 35th anniversary reissue of CTtB is awesome, the guy spews out some awesome licks.

I really liked that Bolin/Paice jam, one of my favourites, but not as good as Jam Stew from In Rock IMO. :grinthumb

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
I am among those also RC... Gettin' Tighter is still epic! Coverdale, Hughes and Bolin all at once... BANG!!!

I love that funky jazzy feeling Bolin had to his playing, he was about as different as you could get to Blackmore's classical tinged bluesy style.

I really liked that Bolin/Paice jam, one of my favourites, but not as good as Jam Stew from In Rock IMO. :grinthumb

Now, the question is, was Jam Stew based off Bullfrog, or was Bullfrog based off Jam Stew?

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Tommy Bolin

13577D1E4CFF986553FE27.jpg

August 1, 1951 / December 4, 1976

Tommy was a very gifted Guitarist who had a major impact on his fans and peers alike, just ask Glenn Hughes.
g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m

Tommy Bolin died from a Heroin overdose on December 4, 1976 at aged 25 in a Miami Hotel after opening for Jeff Beck.

Tommy`s performances have been recorded on several live albums and a lot of compilations but I suggest avoiding those and stick with his studio work....In my opinion Tommy`s 1976`s "Private Eyes" is his very best.

Zephyr (from 1969 to 1971)
Zephyr (1969)

The James Gang (1973 to 1974)
Bang (1973)
Miami (1974)

Tommy Bolin / Solo
Teaser (1975)
Private Eyes (1976)

Deep Purple (1975 to 1976)
Come Taste the Band (1975)

Tommy Bolin Archives : Index Page for Tommy Bolin History

pimmyjage

Reaction score
Tommy also played on Billy Cobham's Spectrum album, as well as Alphonse Mouzon's Mind Transplant.

I think his work on Come Taste The Band is excellent, and his compositions breathed life back into the band. If you want to hear a great live document from the DP MKIV line up, get 'On The Wings Of A Russian Foxbat" live at Long Beach, Ca. Avoid Last Stand in Japan, as his left arm was dead from a bad fix and Tommy could only play basic chords for the most part.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
From www.melodicrock.com/

Unreleased rare recordings of guitar legend Tommy Bolin to be released:
Los Angeles, ca – a spectacular collection of rare and unreleased recordings from famed guitarist of Deep Purple, James Gang and the Billy Cobham band, Tommy Bolin will be released on august 13 by purple pyramid records. 'whirlwind', produced by greg hampton and johnnie bolin, features rare material from bolin's jazz-rock band energy, an epic 26-minute version of “marching powder” (here called “marching bag”) from his first solo album 'teaser', as well as songs Tommy was preparing for his third solo album before his untimely death in 1976.
Tommy Bolin 'whirlwind' will be released in both a beautiful 8-panel, 2-cd digipak and a 2-lp gatefold vinyl set. For the ultimate collector, purple pyramid records will be releasing a special limited (1000 only) deluxe box edition of this exciting collection, which includes the 2-cd digipak plus 4 color postcards, a Tommy Bolin signature guitar pick, collectable patch and pin!
Says producer Greg Hampton, “Tommy's music was way ahead of its time. He's one of the truly greatest guitarists to ever live, and he left an incredible legacy that will continue to influence and inspire musicians forever. The tracks on 'whirlwind' are remarkable because they give you a glimpse into the amazing diversity Tommy was capable of.”
check out the promotional video featuring rare footage of Tommy Bolin tearing up the stage: .

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.