Register to remove these ads

Timeless Titles

Discussion in '50's Music' started by Hurdy Gurdy Man, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Mr. Bob Dobolina

Mr. Bob Dobolina Senior Member

Hey LG, I liked your mention of Dean Martin. After reading a number of books about him (with and without Jerry Lewis) I've come to the conclusion that Dino was just about the luckiest SOB on the planet. As a boxer, a singer, an actor etc., this guy made every wrong choice you can make, and yet he kept falling ass backwards into more and more success. It's like the "Seinfeld" episode where George finds success by doing the exact opposite of what his instincts tell him to do. Dean Martin was the real life version of that.

2. LG

LG Fade To Black

^^I would never have thought Dean was anything like George Costanza. :heheh:

Best move Dean ever did was splitting from Jerry Lewis, he managed to have a very successful and respectable career in everything he did. Jerry and him did reconcile years later, when Dean lost his son in Vietnam(I think that was what happened) Jerry called and offered his deepest sympathies but Dean was never the same afterward.

3. Migolvania

Migolvania Junior Member

Sleepwalk - Santo and Johnny, I can't get enough of this song lately. When I was in college I listened to it a lot, and just recently found it again.

4. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia A Seasoned Witch

Well, I happen to already have a playlist of my 100 favorite songs from the 50's, and from this I compiled a list of essential songs to never be forgotten.

It was hard to resist picking my favs, because they all are! So I took a few days to select those songs that strike a certain chord in me, as the songs that defined the era, and that would leave a physical void if they were deleted from memory.

If the world was ending, and having limited space in my quarters on the space-ark (and no digital music player), these 45rpm 7-inch singles would definitely be coming with me, to introduce the people in my new world to the music of this era.

Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
    Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
    Long Tall Sally - Little Richard
    Maybellene - Chuck Berry
    Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent & The Blue Caps
    I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos
    Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
    Come Go With Me - The Del-Vikings
    You Send Me - Sam Cooke
    There Goes My Baby - The Drifters
    Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison
    Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners