The Who Returns

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed. I've seen them seven times. They are one of those "must see" bands. Too bad Ox won't be with them. =(

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Very cool news! The Who deserve a current place in Rock and Roll and I'm glad they are not retiring, I'll look forward to the new "rock opera"
I only saw them once in '89 and they rocked the arena, great show and quite loud, actually! That's when Simon Phillips was drumming in the band, although I think Ringo's kid did a better job later on.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Am I the only one here who thinks that the Who peaked 35 years ago and should have disbanded after Keith Moon died?

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
Am I the only one here who thinks that the Who peaked 35 years ago and should have disbanded after Keith Moon died?
Well BG, I think you are :eek:hyeah:
Why should have Pete, Roger and John given up their great musical chemistry when Moon died?...I mean it was a tragedy and everything but Loony Moon was outta control for years before with over-drugging and over-drinking...it was amazing that he lived as long as 32!
Moon died from a an overdose of a drug that was for alcoholism, sad but true....but I can hardly see the rest of the Who giving up their band, especially at that time because rock and roll was still so current. :cheers:

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Big Generator said:

I wouldn't knock anyone for going to see what's left of the Who.

But I definitely did not care for Kenny Jones when he drummed for the Who. He was alright for the Small Faces, but his style was too stiff for the Who, when I saw them around '79 or '80. And they've never really released any new songs with the younger drummers.

Now with the Ox missing, I feel like they've lost their most distinctive & exciting instrumental voice.

At one time, the Who were a Raging Bull. Unfortunately, that Raging Bull has had it's 2 balls cut off. :wtf:

What goes out as the Who today sounds more like a Pete Townsend solo album, with Daltrey sitting in, than the Who of old.

Some bands can replace lost members & still maintain the spirit. The 2 guys gone from the Who are just very difficult to replace.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Yes - I wish they'd 'done a Led Zep'....one of the rare bands who knew when to leave the stage at the right time.

I guess the Beatles and the Police and Steve Perry timed it well too.

As for the Rolling Stones...the Who....Bowie...Journey...the Cars...Motley Crue....and all the other acts from yesteryear rinsing the legacy dry....give it up!

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I wasn't crazy about Kenny Jones' drumming for The Who either....in fact the only really decent drummer who fit since Moon was Zak Starkey, (Ringo's kid).
I'm still glad they continued though as the Who.
As for Zep, they should have done a reunion tour at some point with Jason Bonham, the Atlantic Concert in '88 proved he could sound a lot like Bonzo.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online