The Who Returns

Big Generator

Reaction score
Oh...I really respect Page and Plant for their refusal to do reunion tours. This has protected the mystique and integrity of the Led Zep name and also...what would have been the point? Led Zep had achieved everything they needed to achieve, said everything they need to say by 1980. A tour in 1988 would never have come close to the 1970s concerts in any case....

I guess a big reason why Yes are such an incredible band is that they made a comeback in the early 1980s after most people thought their time had passed...and surprised everyone by totally reinventing themselves...and also by breaking new ground to such an extent that their comeback album influenced the sound of an entire decade. They refused to flog the old music to death...going on one nostalgia tour after another with diminishing returns.

Okay - they let themselves down briefly in 1989 when they did the Union tour - but they pushed themselves forward again in the early 1990s with the immense "Talk" album.

Did the Who have the guts and the imagination to break away from the 'greatest hits' formula and record an exciting record after "Who's Next?"? No - and 28 years after they released this album (and with half the line-up now dead) they are about to play the old hits all over again. How could this not be depressing?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
pooldude said:
What goes out as the Who today sounds more like a Pete Townsend solo album, with Daltrey sitting in, than the Who of old.

Some bands can replace lost members & still maintain the spirit. The 2 guys gone from the Who are just very difficult to replace.
I have to agree here but since I do like Townshend solo and I still adore Roger Daltrey, I'd go see them in a heartbeat. Just won't expect to be seeing "The Who" in all their glory or anything. I think that can be said about most bands of their ilk these days who have lost many of their original members.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Music Wench said:
Just won't expect to be seeing "The Who" in all their glory or anything. I think that can be said about most bands of their ilk these days who have lost many of their original members.

I've just bought tickets to a Journey concert in June...I kind of hate myself for it...but when the moment came I couldn't resist.

runtfan

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
I've just bought tickets to a Journey concert in June...I kind of hate myself for it...but when the moment came I couldn't resist.

Geez, BG...quit being such a stick in the mud :tongue:

You'll have a blast. They still sound great. You'll hear most of your favorites, I'm sure. Go with an open mind ( for two hours of your life, stop pining away for Steve Perry). They won't disappoint.

jjtunes

Banned
Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
This tour should definitely be called "Who's Left".

lol I guess I feel a bit this way too, but any chance to see any of them nowdays is welcomed too.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Some valid, if not interesting posts in this thread, and given the death last year of Charlie Watts... to some degree, I'm on board. I saw The Who in several versions- with Moon and Jones and lastly in 2005.
Seeing these 1960s heroes today- with most members beneath the ground is a non- starter and it's the actual 'going to the concert' experience... a bit like a big game, a few beers and Chinese food afterwards.
These were the last two singles I bought.
Good Looking Boy.
Old Red Wine.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online