The Vaselines (Official Thread)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
The Vaselines

186324_1_f.png

The Vaselines are an indie pop band from Edinburgh, Scotland that formed in 1986. Though they were not widely known outside of Scotland during their short career, their association with Nirvana brought exposure to the band. Kurt Cobain once described Kelly and McKee as his "most favorite songwriters in the whole world", and even named his daughter Frances Bean Cobain after McKee. Their songs "Son of a Gun" and "Molly's Lips" are covered on Nirvana's album Incesticide and "Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam"(which is actually Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam.) covered on Nirvana's Unplugged performance. This gained The Vaseleines a new audience. At the 1991 Reading Festival, Kelly joined Nirvana on stage for a performance of "Molly's Lips" which Cobain said was the happiest time of his life. I first heard covers of their songs on a Nirvana album and had to check them out.
Such a ridiculously catchy band.

(Nirvana with Eugene Kelly)

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
Re: The Vaselines

I love the influential impact of this band. For Kurt to have declared them one of his favorites I can see why from every aspect and angle of The Vaselines music. The raunchiness blend of Kelly and Mckee's voice is amazing. Such a likeable vibe from the pair through every song and live performance.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I love the influential impact of this band. For Kurt to have declared them one of his favorites I can see why from every aspect and angle of The Vaselines music. The raunchiness blend of Kelly and Mckee's voice is amazing. Such a likeable vibe from the pair through every song and live performance.
Very true.

I also find their lyrics hilarious as they are mostly sexual innuendos.

I'm in love with Frances.

Which one? Cobain? Or of the Vaselines?

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Oh yeah I know. I was posting that, and thinking to myself "I should just put her first name, and look cool."

I'm home <3

Haha. I knew who you meant but I had to say it to see what was going to be said.

Honestly man Frances Bean Cobain is extremely pretty, good thing she moved away from her psychotic mother. Hopefully she is smart and does not do anything dumb.

But I love the Vaselines, love Molly's Lips and Son Of A Gun. Two of my favorites to play.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I told myself when I first saw this thread I was going to check it out but I didn't remember until now. I even saw this cool looking collection at Best Buy and said, "Shit! I wish I would have checked out that thread to see if I'd want it or not!" :heheh: Anyway, until now I only knew the Vaselines music because of Kurts admiration of them and the only song I could recall for sure of Nirvanas that was by them was Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam! Grunge is right, the influence is obvious just by listening especially on Kurts vocal style! Good stuff CN! I'll have to pick up that collection next time I see it! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Well here's an example of full circle right here as The Vaselines cover Nirvana! :grinthumb I like this version! It's a very spiritual take! :grinthumb

Lithium (Nirvana Cover)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online