The Toy Dolls (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
toydolls.jpg

The Toy Dolls Official Website

Toy Dolls are an English punk rock band formed in 1979. Departing from the angry lyrics and music often associated with punk rock, Toy Dolls worked within the aesthetics of punk to express a sense of fun, with songs such as "Yul Brynner Was A Skinhead", "My Girlfriend's Dad's A Vicar" and "James Bond Lives Down Our Street." There is often alliteration in their song titles (e.g. "Peter Practice's Practice Place", "Fisticuffs in Frederick Street", "Neville is a Nerd").

Studio Albums

1983 Dig That Groove Baby
1985 A Far Out Disc
1986 Idle Gossip
1987 Bare Faced Cheek
1989 Ten Years Of Toys
1989 Wakey Wakey
1990 22 Tunes Live From Tokyo
1991 Fat Bob's Feet
1993 Absurd-Ditties
1995 Orcastrated
1997 One More Megabyte
1999 On Stage in Stuttgart
2000 Anniversary Anthems
2004 Our Last Album?
2006 Treasured Toy Dolls Tracks Live
2012 The Album After The Last One

Their albums usually include a cover version of a well-known hit song, usually sped up to the usual punk rock tempo. Covers have include: "Toccata in Dm", "Sabre Dance", "Livin' La Vida Loca", "Lazy Sunday Afternoon", "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) and "The Final Countdown." They have also recorded parodies of popular songs, such as "The Kids in Tyne and Wear (Kids in America)" and "The Devil Went Down to S****horpe (The Devil Went Down to Georgia)". Their albums often start with a short intro with a catchy guitar riff, and end with an outro, which is usually a slightly longer variation of the intro riff.

Most of the band members have nicknames, and are rarely seen without their cartoonish rectangular sunglasses (although they appeared bare-eyed on the One More Megabyte album cover).

Toy Dolls formed as a quartet featuring vocalist Pete "can't take a picture" Robson, guitarist Michael "Olga" Algar, drummer Colin "Mr. Scott" Scott and bassist Phillip "Flip" Dugdale. After a couple of concerts, "can't take a picture" left to form his own band and was replaced by Paul "Hud" Hudson on vocals for one concert. After Hud's departure, the Toy Dolls became a trio, with guitarist Olga assuming permanent vocal duties.

Scott left the band in 1980 and was replaced by Dean James for four months over the summer of 1980. James later returned to the band from 1985 to 1988 as a bassist. Flip left in 1983, marking the beginning of a revolving door of drummers and bassists that would characterise the Toy Dolls line-up over the years (with Olga as the mainstay and only original member). In 1984, Zulu returned to the line-up as a bassist/vocalist, but departed again less than a year later.

They were initially grouped with the Oi! scene, but they can also be classified as pop punk or punk pathetique. One reason they are associated with Oi! is that they were championed by Garry Bushell, who was very involved with Oi! bands such as Angelic Upstarts (whom Toy Dolls later supported on their first national tour). In 1980, Sunderland car salesman and businessman Tom Cowie financed the Toy Dolls' debut single, "Tommy Kowey's Car" with "She Goes To Finos" on the B-side. The single quickly sold out its initial pressing of 500 copies, but the band could not afford to press any more, making the single a collectors' item. When the band signed to Volume, they moved to Newton Hall, north of Durham which led to their song "Livin' on Newton Hall".

For Christmas 1982, they released their punk rendition of "Nellie the Elephant", a classic children's song, which hit #1 in the UK Indie Singles Chart. In 1983, they released their debut album Dig That Groove Baby. In 1984, their re-issue of "Nellie the Elephant" reached #4 in the UK Singles Chart and stayed in the Top 100 for 14 weeks. Their follow-up single "She Goes to Fino's" reached #93 during April 1985.

As of 2007, the band has had 14 different drummers and 12 different bassists. Olga is the only remaining original member of the band. After Olga, drummer Martin Yule had the longest tenure in the band (1987-1999). Yule currently owns a shop in Sunderland called "Hotrats." Former drummer Dave "the Nut" Nuttall owns Jalapeño Drums (a custom drum company based in Lancaster, Lancashire).Steven "Rubi" Mallinson went on to be a pulp writer of Skinhead books and youth culture, before vanishing in the 90s. The current lead singer/guitarist with The Stranglers Baz Warne also had a stint with the band. Olga has played bass on some tours with the U.S. punk band The Dickies. Gary Dunn former bassist of the Toy Dolls (1997-1999) now teaches music at City of Sunderland College.

Give this one a chance

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Toy Dolls

Nellie the Elephant...I don't know what to say Sweaty...lol

James Bond...again made me laugh, these guys are funny.

Dueling Banjos...never expected a cover like that one, they are talented no doubt.

Ghost Riders....nothing is safe from this band, I love the Outlaws version but this one was decent too.

The Final Countdown...is that a kazoo?....:lmao:...this would be a great party song, and the band as well, nice to see some musicians with a good sense of humor, but they never let you forget they can Play as well.

Blue Suede Shoes...Boooo!!...that cracked me up too.

Great way to start the day Sweaty, thanks for posting this band and sorry it took me so long to get to them.:cheers:

MintRainbow

Reaction score

I've always loved the Toy Dolls. I have most of their cds... but there are sooo many, I'm still missing a couple. Olga's the only member that's consitent throughout their history... basically Olga is the band, the band is Olga. ^_^

You won't find many (or any) punk songs with a riff like the one in Pot Bellied Bill:

Perhaps the least funky song about boogie-ing on down ever:

I could probably post songs of theirs all night. :D One more that always makes me laugh:

Last edited:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I always thought that they were a novelty band and then I purchased one of their albums and bang I loved them. I could listen to them anytime, they can play too :)

MintRainbow

Reaction score

Yeah, you don't expect that level of musicianship from a novelty punk band. And yet... they never really stop being a novelty punk band either. ^_^ They're just really, really good at it.

Two other things about the band: they like sing-song melodies and lyrics, sometimes with almost a nursery rhyme or playground rhyme feel. And they like to make really, really long song titles, as joke I think. ^_^

You won't be merry on a North Sea ferry:

If you're in a pop band you'll end up paying a fortune practicing at Peter Practice's practice place (yes that's the song title):

And if you don't think that's a long song title, try this one: "Queen Alexandra Road is where she'd said she'd be, but was she there to meet me? No chance":

Last edited:

LivingDead

Fiend For Life
Reaction score

I love the Toy Dolls as well. I always loved their use of one of the most underrated instruments: The kazoo. My brother actually introduced me to them about a year ago and ever since then, I've been in love with them.

Iggy

Coal mining ruffian
Reaction score

Singalongadolls. :pullhair: Great fun in the local pub in the eighties, shouting along, with the gang, to 'Nellie'. WHOOOOOOOOooooooooooh .......... :oyea:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
It is time to party the Toy Dolls are touring and are doing the UK, I have tickets for Nottingham rock city, should be a belter. TV Smith is supporting...:woot:

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
I need to give this band a serious listen. My old bandmate used to love this band. But after listening to one of the songs here. I'll be getting an album to check them out fully

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.