The Top 10 Songs That Best Describe You

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
1. Mr. Soul - Buffalo Springfield

- In this song Neil Young describes a character who unwittingly captures the imagination and interest of the group. Yes indeed the smile on my face turned to plaster, and many 'a times people have said to me "you're strange, but don't change." This is the best representation of my life on any average day, at least socially speaking.

2. Time - Pink Floyd

- This has been one of my theme songs for a long time. I'm not English in the traditional sense, but hanging on in quiet desperation is certainly my way (if I'm violantly sick I tend to just pretend that I'm okay), and I've spent most of my time kicking around on a piece of ground in my home town and wasting the hours. I am, in fact, waiting for someone or something to show me the way, and I don't tend to appreciate the magnitude of where I'm at. Many of my plans come to naught and die as half a page of scribbled lines, literally. I do have an appreciation for home and sitting by the fire, more so than people would expect since people tend to find it odd that I'd rather stay home and watch the rain instead of going out and doing things.

3. Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin

- I know this is a song about drugs, and I don't do drugs, but I might as well. You have to believe me when I tell you that I seriously get messed up just from eating a lot of food. This song for me represents something of my desires and ideals. I often come upon scenes like those described in this song in my dreams - I find myself walking through the park and encountering hippies... My mind goes into a different kind of state when I'm in a performance situation or any particularly significant social situation, I get exhilirated and go even more crazy. I think the far-out groove of this song very accurately depicts my state of mind in those situations. Furthermore my greatest desire in the whole world (well, next to the libido, maybe), would be to pack up my bags and go off to some small mountain cabin where I can be alone and do as I please for a while.

4. Dancin' Fool - Frank Zappa

- Yep, that's me. Literally speaking I do tend to dance and groove and headbang and rock out to lite Jazz or simply the music that goes on in my head. I'll be in the coffee house listening to a folk band and I'll get up and start dancing around. I don't know the single first thing about how to dance, I just move around however I please to, and it ends up a lot like Elaine from Seinfield. Figuratively speaking I am the kind of crazy fool who will get up and do crazy things. Some people despise me for it, but most people enjoy it. Also it kinda represents the primitive way I go about things. I don't give a damn about learning how this or that is done, I just do it.

5. Time To Move On - Tom Petty

Which way does love land? Which way do I go? Some say Tom Petty's Wildflowers album is the wise laments of a man coming upon deeper age. I say he's somehow managed to channel the teenage spirit. This song emotionally sums up my general confusion and hesitant fear.

6. Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It? - Buffalo Springfield

Most typical activities and entertainments bore me now adays. So, consequently, I spend a lot of my time pining for the opposite sex. There are countless young ladies whom have won my utter affection, unbeknownst to them. A few of them even seemed to show similar interest in me, but I'm sure not going to make a move.

7. Negative Creep - Nirvana

But hey, let's face it, there's not much that is innocent about my interest in the girls. The simple fact is that I am exceedingly negative about almost everything, and I'm a creep.

8. Thrasher - Neil Young

Ah, the romantic life affirming tune... Let's just say I've got some things I need to overcome, but I blissfully refuse to overcome them. This song tells of truth and necessity, and the journey of life. Some day I'll burn my credit card for fuel and actually step out into the sun to face what's mine.

9. Consider This - Anna Nalick

This song was my theme song for a little while near the end of last school year, that was probably my most depressed period. I was completely overwhelmed and I would literally just lie on the bathroom floor because I was so tired and if I got up then I'd have stuff I was supposed to do. During that period of time I was trying to maintain an emotional stasis. It was a very strange period because I was constantly failing myself and nothing was working out for me -- except that nobody knew! My grades remained fine, for reasons I don't understand, and so it was a pretty crazy time when I was just waiting for the day when it would all fall over. When something particularly bad happened, you could say I "tripped again", that's the only time when things would get interesting for me, because I was keeping an emotional stasis whenever I could. I really didn't want to get help with it, I just wanted to accept it for what it was, just like Anna says. Dreaming did me no good because it never ever came true. I had, in a sense, come to terms with my insecurities because I just wanted to live in peace with them, not go off an edge to safety or to destruction. People were starting to push at my edges and I was ready for a fight. They'd say "it'll be okay" but I knew I was just waiting for whenever my downfalls would finally surface and my whole world would come down. ... That never actually happened, not yet at least, and now things are in a completely different atmosphere even though I'm in the essentially same spot. That was a pretty bad period, though.

10. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

This is in my top 2 awesomest songs I've ever listened to. I don't like it all that much anymore, 'cause I wore it out by listening to it non-stop, but the only other song that amazed me as much as Teen Spirit was The Battle of Evermore. I didn't understand a single word Kurt was singing in the song, I would just sing along by yelling arbitrary syllables, but then one day on a messege board someone said to me "All of Nirvana's songs are meaningless, I dare you to interpret Smells Like Teen Spirit." So... I did... and I found out that the song is very meaningful. For me it mostly comes back to the libido. I think the main point of the song is that the teenage years are supposed to be all glorious and wonderful, many older people have confessed envy for my position in life, but in fact it's somewhat of a hell whole. I'm worse at what I do best, and for this gift I feel blessed. You better load up on guns because your peers are pissed off and ready to fight. Entertainment is all I'm after. I do indeed feel stupid and contagious whenever I happen to be honestly enjoying myself, contagious meaning that it feels like your inner-most thoughts are just radiating out of your body into everyone else's head. I actually do wonder why I bother with social stuff sometimes, it is indeed hard to find what you're after. And of course when I'm pondering this deep stuff I often get lost in my own head and have to so "oh screw it, never mind, I don't get it. Oh well."

Although those selections focus more on the physical and not so much on the mental, and the mental is probably the greater of the two in my case.... There's more I could say, this isn't a definitive song list, just some ideas. There's probably a lot more to me that isn't being mentioned.

Last edited:

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
1.) Give a Little Bit - Supertramp
corny, huh? I think I've wanted to settle down since I was about 12.
as soon as somebody could put up with me, I did. this is a nice little song. give and take. nothing else works quite like it.

2.)Attitude by The Kinks
it's not your manners you've got to improve, it's your ATTITUDE!

3.) Surfin' Bird - The trashmen and others
well, don't you know about the bird, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
this is something you need to know about me. I like 'Surfin' Bird' A LOT!!! I think the world would be a better place if it was the National Anthem. "Everybody please rise for "Surfin' Bird" great way to start the day, you gotta admit!

4.) Many a Mile to Freedom - Traffic
if you should happen to ask me, the secret of life that I know..
together we float like a river, and together we melt like the snow.

5.) September Song - by gazillions of people
as my days dwindle down to a precious few...
yeah, it's time for me to start thinking about that stuff.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I guess it's about time I post MY 10 songs!

1. I Can't Be Satisfied - Muddy Waters
2. The Seeker - The Who
3. It's All In Your Mind - Beck
4. Clarity - John Mayer
5. No Excuses - Alice In Chains
6. Only - Nine Inch Nails
7. Everybody's Changing - Keane
8. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan
9. One Of These Things First - Nick Drake
10. Holding Back The Years - Simply Red

Last edited:

Foggy Hat

Reaction score
O gosh! this is hard!

1. Slow Ride - Foghat (my parents drive slowly)
2. Slick Black Cadillac - Quiet Riot (I own a slick white cadillac)
3. I wanna be sedated - Ramones (no reason)
4. Crazy Train - Ozzy (I'm not the most sane of all people)
5. Up on cripple creek - The Band (My dad employs truckers)
6. Old time rock&roll - Bob Segar (Im a classic rock purist)
7. Money - Pink Floyd (I want more of it)
8. The boys are back in town - Thin Lizzy (I love dancing to this song :D )
9. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm - Crash test dummies (I know people with all the problems described in this song.)
10. When the levee breaks - Led zeppelin ( Dance to this one too)

finally done!!! WOO! :cool:

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
3.) Surfin' Bird - The trashmen and others
well, don't you know about the bird, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
this is something you need to know about me. I like 'Surfin' Bird' A LOT!!! I think the world would be a better place if it was the National Anthem. "Everybody please rise for "Surfin' Bird" great way to start the day, you gotta admit!

Sorry I missed this earlier, Snee! This recording is a work of pure genius. And a major element in that genius is how this record is so unabashedly derivative ( ;) to Kath :) ) and yet so breathtakingly original in its ineptitude. Of course the Trashmen got successfully sued for ripping off the Rivingtons twice in one song ("The Bird's the Word" and "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow"; see my post above). But they were the Trashmen, after all. And what's trashier than a bunch of frat boys from Minnesota with no musical ability shamelessly plagarizing an R&B group and then claiming the result is a surfing song? I agree, this should be the National Anthem.

Spike

DarkWishWall

Reaction score
England - The birth of great music! Specifically B
1.Creep- Radiohead
Describes me perfectly and my feelings most of the time, I really am a creep and this was obviously written by someone who actually is, instead of putting it on like some people like Axl Rose or something. I listen to this very rarely because of the feeling I get when I do, I like to save it.
2.Dumb- Nirvana
The whole song is a beautiful poem, but the lines 'I'm not like them, but I can pretend', it sounds like it's ME saying that every time I listen to it, and it breaks my heart. It captures my situation when I'm with other 'normal' people, pretending to be like them.
3.Once- Pearl Jam
Cause I used to be popular and everything but I've kind of just not cared about anything like a girlfriend or social life or anything, even though I've had them I haven't really been there, and this song says that - that I used to care, but now couldn't care less.
4.Money- Pink Floyd
I'm usually in big Money trouble and when I listen to this it just reminds me to chill out because it's all pointless anyway.
5.Visions of Johanna- Bob Dylan
It's just one specific line but the impact it has on me is huge. 'Little boy lost, he takes himself so seriously' makes me laugh every time because I just picture myself whenever I hear this and it reminds me that life really shouldn't be taken all that seriously, even when you're in pain, which I've been in constantly for the last two and a half years.
6.Summertime Blues- Eddie Cochran
Gets me through every time when I'm at work and feeling pissed at the boss or whatever, completely timeless and relatable to evrybody and I'm no exception on that front.
7.Wheels- Enuff Z'Nuff
Again lyrically spot on when describing me, frustrated, never completely complete.
8.Time- Pink Floyd
More amazing Waters lyrics, describes a lot of guys I think but really hits me every time, I'm really wasting my life at the moment doing nothing, and waiting for something or someone to show me the way in hopelessness, without digging myself out of my premature midlife crisis.
9.I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better- The Byrds
I know they probably actually meant these lyrics, that they actually will feel better, but I can never help putting negative undertones to this song, and think of myself telling myself I feel better since I 'split up' with my best friend, who kinda broke my heart, but that I never will feel happy again without him. It's sad and probably the wrong thing to think about this song which is a 'You're gone and I'm happy' song, but I always put my own meanings to lyrics, instead of trying to figure out what the artist was trying to say. I always apply them to myself, which increases the power in a lot of songs for me.
10.Here It Comes Again- The Fortunes
I always listen to this song and have a nice little cry after I see my old best friend by accident, which is quite often. It really strikes me that that is exactly how I'm feeling and I shouldn't be crying but I can't help it.
11.Someday I'll Be Saturday Night- Bon Jovi
A few lyrics in this song get me, mainly 'I'm only sixteen I feel a hundred years old'. As I was sixteen when I first heard this song I couldn't believe how much it sounded like me.

Sorry for going over 10 but those are the main ones. I have a 'down' playlist on my I-Pod which I listen to when I'm feeling pissed off and many more songs are on it, but these are the main ones. I also have loads of poems which I hope will become song lyrics one day, so this list is subject to change. Sorry if I depressed you!

Last edited:

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
What a great idea for a thread, NDF.

While I'm thinking, please tell me where you got that amazing picture you posted at the top.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.