The Top 10 Songs That Best Describe You

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Good question. One that requires a bit of thought, however, so for now here's a few to get started and I'll add to it as things come to me.

1. Things The Grandchildren Should Know - Eels

Kind of reflects how I feel about life in general. I can relate to the lyrics.

2. Rant and Roll - John Trudell

Great song that turned me into a John Trudell fan. Welcome to Grafitti Land...say what you mean, mean what you say, rant and roll when you feel that way...

Love those lyrics.

3. Grow Old Along With Me - John Lennon

I love this song and it kind of reminds me of my husband and our relationship. Most beautiful song Lennon ever wrote I think.

Just three and a slow start but I'll work on it. :)

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
i'll play. (get ready to rammmmmble.)

1. a day in the life, beatles
time, pink floyd
entangled, genesis

i group these three together for the same reason~~they made me realize that rock lyrics could be poetry. this realization had a huuuuuge impact on my life. after all, i did end up teaching poetry for years.

2. drive, todd rundgren
probably the closest a song comes to my own philosophy of life...
...don't sit and wait
for the world on a plate
it's not a stroke of luck or chance
just draw a bead on that sucker
and driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

...along with any number of carpe diemmy songs. for instance,
3. aint wastin time no more, allmanns

4. gold-dust woman, fleetwood mac
i was stevie nicks when i was 14. i really, really thought i was... altho i was probably closer to nazareth's whiskey-drinkin woman. there's still a corner of me that's forever stevie. mwhaha.

5. ride a white swan, t. rex
this song is happy, bouncy, pagan in an innocent, light kinda way. reminds me of my yute. and i still wear my hair long.

6. dun ringill, tull
a darker, more complicated version of the rex. years pass... and life happeneth. i've always been a sucker for cards-of-life metaphors anyway.

7. new horizons, moodies
what i thought my marriage would be.
7.5 drowned, the who
what my marriage was, basically.

8. ripples, genesis i have a series of mental snapshots from my past that go with this song. i add to it as i get older. ...a song about marking time is what i've always used to mark time.

9. when the levee breaks, zep
i guess this is pretty self-explanatory.

10. life's been good to me so far, joe walsh
..well, it has.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
Good question. One that requires a bit of thought, however, so for now here's a few to get started and I'll add to it as things come to me.

1. Things The Grandchildren Should Know - Eels

Kind of reflects how I feel about life in general. I can relate to the lyrics.

2. Rant and Roll - John Trudell

Great song that turned me into a John Trudell fan. Welcome to Grafitti Land...say what you mean, mean what you say, rant and roll when you feel that way...

Love those lyrics.

3. Grow Old Along With Me - John Lennon

I love this song and it kind of reminds me of my husband and our relationship. Most beautiful song Lennon ever wrote I think.

Just three and a slow start but I'll work on it. :)

Okay here goes more:

4. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper

Pretty much my attitude for most of my life. I want to have fun. You only have one go around in life (I may be a Buddhist but I have as many doubts about reincarnation as I do about heaven and hell) and you might as well enjoy it as best as you can.

5. When God Made Me - Neil Young

Great song off of his latest Prairie Wind. Pretty much reflects many of my thoughts on God.

6. Ted Nugent - Kiss My Ass

Okay, this is a bit harsh but quite frankly, I can relate to the sentiment. Generally speaking I try to not have conflict - yea, really I do - but when faced with unreasonable people or with situations that just drive me up a wall, I'll come out full blast with both barrels firing. I like Ted's attitude in this song. He gets a lot of crap from liberals and the media - yep, I'm both but I think I'm a lot more fair about things than my peers - unfairly and he doesn't care, he'll still continue on fighting to speak out. Good for him. I don't agree with him a lot but I respect the attitude and I feel the same way. Liberals tend to get mad at me when I seem to "betray" them when I agree with the other side and I get more annoyed with them than with the other side. I don't expect them to like me at all but you'd think my side would give me the benefit of the doubt.

7. Sugar, Sugar - The Archies

Yep, bubblegum and poppy but that's where my first interest in music came from. Loved Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy and Donnie Osmond. The innocence of youth. The Monkees (yea, I spelled it right this time ;) ) were a staple on my record player as a kid. Perhaps why I still like pop sounding songs but with those "alternative" lyrics.

8. Echoes - Pink Floyd

First Pink Floyd song I really got into. Most awesome band. It was also probably one of the first times I got stoned. Still can remember sitting and listening to this in a friend's dorm room. Brings back a nice warm feeling.

9. Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin

Odd choice out of all of my favorite band from the 70s catalogue but it was my theme song for my rock show at KTUH. I remember the first night I was to go on the air at 2 a.m. for the free form program, I felt I wanted an air name cause I didn't want any potential nuts who were listening to know my real name. So I was going to play something off of Led Zeppelin IV for my first song and decided it was going to be Misty. It was my theme for every rock show I did and remains one of my favorite Zeppelin songs because of it.

10. Find The River/Night Swimming - R.E.M.

Two of the most beautiful songs this band has ever written. Find The River is one of contemplation of life with great stream of consciousness style lyrics from Michael Stipe. Evokes beautiful images for me and it's the song that comes to mind most often on a beautiful fall day for me as I look out the lake. Nightswimming evokes memories of a more innocent time. The band members are all about my age and were in college at the same time I was and pretty much I can relate to their memories and thoughts of the time. These two songs are always grouped together in my mind. I rarely think of one without the other. They were also both on Automatic for the People.

India_Blue

Geronimo's Gal
Reaction score
Yeah, I am going to think about this one and get back to it. It does take alot of thought, especially if you are older, because you have so much stuff to remember! :D

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Music Wench said:
10. Find The River/Night Swimming - R.E.M.

Two of the most beautiful songs this band has ever written. Find The River is one of contemplation of life with great stream of consciousness style lyrics from Michael Stipe. Evokes beautiful images for me and it's the song that comes to mind most often on a beautiful fall day for me as I look out the lake. Nightswimming evokes memories of a more innocent time. The band members are all about my age and were in college at the same time I was and pretty much I can relate to their memories and thoughts of the time. These two songs are always grouped together in my mind. I rarely think of one without the other. They were also both on Automatic for the People.

Great songs! They are very nostalgic tunes.

cnbpjb

Reaction score
Here's a list of my top ten, that describe me:

1. Walking On Broken Glass by Annie Lennox. This feels like me most everyday.

2. Champaign Supernova by Oasis. Where I wish I could be.

3. Tubthumping by Chambawamba. This is usually what happens to me.

4. Help Me by Joni Mitchell. Sound like what I need.

5. Where Is The Love? by Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway. Definitely me?

6. We Are Family by Sister Sledge. Sometimes too much with my family, and sometimes too little, all except the sisters part, since I'm a man.

7. Flirtin' With Disaster by Molly Hatchett. Yep, this describes me too a tee.

8. You Talk Too Much by Joe Jones. Describes a little too often.

9. Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode. Although sometimes this is what I get, or I end up doing to others.

10. Tomorrow Never Knows by the Beatles. By the end of the day, this is my theme song.

writingfever

Reaction score
1. Life is Too Short - Scorpions
2. Division Bell - Pink Floyd
3. Tu Trouveras - Natasha St. Pier...French Thing, Not Rock :)
4. Holiday - Scorpions
5. What God Wants, Part Two- Roger Waters
6. Act A Fool - Ludacris...Rap!! :( Sorry I offended you

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
1 Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow - The Rivingtons; the joy of youthful innocence
2 Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan; a world of endless possibilities
3 I've Been Loving You Too Long - Otis Redding; discovering my inner negro
4 We Can Be Together - Jefferson Airplane; politics & rage
5 I Can See for Miles - The Who; seeing it all
6 I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James; seeing too much
7 Will My Jesus Be Waiting - The Five Blind Boys of Mississippi; salvation in the earthly
8 I Walk on Gilded Splinters - Dr. John; delighting in the exotic
9 Just Like Romeo and Juliet - The Reflections; innocence regained
10 Angel From Montgomery - John Prine; searching for meaning in the mundane

Spike

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
1. Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
2. Veteran of the Psychic Wars - Blue Oyster Cult
3. My Life - Billy Joel
4. Fooling Yourself - Styx
5. That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd