The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania (2012)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins-Oceania

Track number four brings my favorite track and it seems synonymous that this track is at least a highlight from everyone I've heard listen to it. To me this is the least forced yet most old school Pumpkin track on here. It reminds me of a more amped up In The Arms of Sleep in musical elements and lyrical theme. I don't know if this is a weakness in Billy's writing or not as lyrically this album is nowhere near as vivid as past Pumpkins works. The themes and sentiments are admirable and do tell a story throughout but just said in the most straight forward ways possible and at times cliche. I mean the line "Babe, don't leave me, please believe me" would've been crucified for being used in a Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber song. I remember reading The Melloncollie booklet on it's own and just loving the vivid imagery and structure of the words. I don't get that here. Anyway, I love the track because it evokes that side of the Pumpkins but it's not so melancholy anymore. It's a pop anthem where the yearning is more vibrant, hopeful and colorful than gloomy.

Violet Rays
stock-footage-violet-rays.jpg

So far still my favourite track from Oceania :)

The Freak

The Freak
Reaction score
I’m really disappointed with it. Too much keyboard, not enough guitar and no hooks from my perspective. I’ve deleted my copy and feel it’s best forgotten.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I will be buying this no matter what, great band and so many memories of seeing them live many times, just amazing:)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
So far still my favourite track from Oceania :)

I’m really disappointed with it. Too much keyboard, not enough guitar and no hooks from my perspective. I’ve deleted my copy and feel it’s best forgotten.

My favourite tracks are the first three: Quasar, Panopticon and The Celestials but the whole album is great :grinthumb

I will be buying this no matter what, great band and so many memories of seeing them live many times, just amazing:)

Tray and Sunny, my favorite track is still Violet Rays but I change favorites below that based on what's really stuck in my head that day. There's so many great melodies here. :grinthumb

The Freak, I have no problem with the Electronic/Keyboard aspect as I LOVED Adore. To me, on this one though they have plenty of great riffs mixed in
but to each there own. :)

Sweaty, definitely get fellow Pumpkinhead. :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
For anyone who doesn't like the electronic/keyboard oriented songs this is definitely not going to be a favorite. I agree with the fans on youtube who agree that this is a very 80's tinged song. It's a cheerful song but one of the weaker songs to me. I wish Billy put as much vibrancy into the vocal as the melody calls for. If you are going to have such an 80's pop ambience then go for it. :heheh: Can you picture Billy in his overalls in a video like "Come On Eileen"! :oyea: I mean, in the writing there's nothing dark about this. The lyrics are simple and it's a "be your friend forever" type song. Billy just sounds so drab and for somrone who's trying to make a happier sounding album he's not taking the bull by the horns. Another catchy melody overall though! :)

One Diamond, One Heart
istockphoto_4028972-diamond-heart.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I've decided this is my second favorite on the album. I may be close to holding it over Violet Rays. I love the long intro and how it builds mixing the keyboard sound with the amplified strumming guitar. I love the spacy guitar riff it builds to. Billy's vocals are powerful here and the whole song has an orchestra in space vibe. I love the note Billy holds when he says I deserve you at 3:32. He really puts the most conviction into this song. The female accompaniment is also a nice touch. This is the closest thing to a power ballad on the whole album but it does a great job at it. It's perfectly constructed all the way! :grinthumb

Pinwheels
t_poster-ree171573dd6c47319bd2386cb90b1d56_671_400.jpg

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I will give this one a listen soon actually. You have a cool way of describing the music which given what you have said about the songs I could end up liking. :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think I will give this one a listen soon actually. You have a cool way of describing the music which given what you have said about the songs I could end up liking. :)

Thanks man! This album has been a grower and I actually like that better than just fallen all over it saying it's great like some fanboys! :heheh:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
The Smashing Pumpkins are gigging on Tuesday night here in Sydney. They will be doing songs from Oceania and their 90's anthems according to all my lucky friends who are going. Sadly I am working that night :wa

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online