The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania (2012)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The Smashing Pumpkins-Oceania

c568e5280ef72f8541ccc17df922f4f4.jpg
pumpkins2012.jpg

One can garner a lot just from looking at the cover of the new Smashing Pumpkins album. In it is a lone monument reaching skyward surrounded circled by the barren trees and dead, quiet space. It's not a grim scene. It's washed over in the most beautiful aqua blue, the band name and title centered and hovering proudly over the monument in a bolder wash of blue. It's an album that much like most of Billy's career represents a man who against the odds always wants to aim sky high in the grandest of oeuvres.

This is exactly the picture of where Billy is with his career. The angst has disappeared at perhaps the most sparsely lit point in his bands legacy. The world seems dead to a band that's always been about causing grandiose explosions with an underground spark. The leaves have fallen whether it be the change of the current musical landscape or withered fans that remained stationary in it's expectations. The Smashing Pumpkins have never been stationary and Billy's muse has never been more optimistic then it has right now. So before Billy deconstructs this monument to his bands legacy to arc in a completely different direction let's discuss the height it reaches.

The album starts out with a blast of defiance in Quasar as the band tries to cement it place in The Pumpkins and curbstomp your face against it with Siamese Dream heavy riffs. The fact that the album starts off with something so reminiscent of old Pumpkins style may be a sign of Billy slipping away from his convictions. In fact, I'll say right now this is the most homogenous effort I've ever heard from the band. Whether this is both Billy trying to prove he still has it or the band trying to prove they can fill those shoes is anyone's guess. One can't say it's missing the grandiose edge. Billy evokes God and the highest entities in the lyrics and chants a series of punctuated lines against the rocket fueled riffage and drums. Billy's vocals are weaker with age but he displays the most intensity he can muster despite. It's a huge swing that actually could pull even the jaded fan back in.

Quasar
300px-Artist's_redering_ULAS_J1120%2B0641.jpg

The albums intensity bleeds into the next track, Panopticon, but wipes off the scorching sweat, steadies itself and let's you bask in the light. Billy knows he has the fan at this point and he mixes a riff that could come easily off of Mellon Collie and blends it with the optimism he's been trying to refine since Zwan. I believe lyrically this is a message to Billy's former fans who feel scorned because Billy grew out of the angsty stage. When Billy proclaims that "There's a sun that shines, There's a world that stares out of me" it's a declaration and the line "Don't make me suffer" definitely has a target. Between the kick of the opening track and Panopticons message Billy definitely came inspired and ready to fight. Within this world the title Panopticon makes sense as it's a circular prison in which the prisoner could be observed at all times. This is Billy's battle to break out of that prison when the fans chose to define what his baby, The Smashing Pumpkins, was and should now be!

Panopticon
a-panopticon-006.jpg

To be continued.....

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: The Smashing Pumpkins-Oceania

Very cool, I will check out the samples. So far I have not heard bad things about this album :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Very cool, I will check out the samples. So far I have not heard bad things about this album :grinthumb

The reviews have been about average for this one critically Metal and the usual haters who claim to be fans have been trying to call out all the good reviews as being by brainwashed fans who'll swallow anything Billy shits out. They all agree it beats Zeitgeist though. That seems to be the one thing most agree on. :heheh:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I gotta say its their best album since mellon collie and the infinite sadness IMO. really impressed with their new drummer. Hes not Jimmy, but he does a good job.

Nice write up so far man.

Kuaizi

Reaction score

I gotta say its their best album since mellon collie and the infinite sadness IMO. really impressed with their new drummer. Hes not Jimmy, but he does a good job.

Completely agree!! I've listened to it multiple times now and it gets better and better.

It's an album that works cohesively from start to finish - something that is tough to find these days!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Nice write up so far man.

Completely agree!! I've listened to it multiple times now and it gets better and better.

It's an album that works cohesively from start to finish - something that is tough to find these days!

I agree with why you like it (the cohesiveness) but I'm a whore for Adore and can't stand by that statement! Adore is right beside Siamese Dream for me! :cheers2

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

At least we agree on Siamese Dream Soots :D

Oceania pulled me in from first listen & continues to grow on me with each spin.

Excellent write-up, it's gonna be a 1st class review :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

The third track, The Celestials is where the album really sounds like the direction he was going with Teargarden By Kaleidoscope. Honestly, it was a huge disappointment for me that Billy had to take the arc away from his ideas just because they weren't catching on like he wanted too. Every other bold move he made in his career was his choice and his convictions. If it paid off it was because his convictions paid off. Billy never apologized for anything before or showed regret and that's including his solo album. Anyway, I liked all the tracks that dropped one by one from that project and I like the mellow, ethereal nature of Celestials and I'm fine with a lot of the album being like that. I'm not saying songs like Quasar don't fit the album but it seemed like Billy added some nostalgic elements just to punch up the album. It's tracks like this that show where Billy was at in those sessions and what I would've expected in an album that was supposed to be an album with that project. Like Celestial are related to Heaven this is Billy singing in an orchestrated, strumming ease and at peace. The verses are bouncy and the whole theme of being free is felt within the song.

celestial.jpg

The Celestials

Track number four brings my favorite track and it seems synonymous that this track is at least a highlight from everyone I've heard listen to it. To me this is the least forced yet most old school Pumpkin track on here. It reminds me of a more amped up In The Arms of Sleep in musical elements and lyrical theme. I don't know if this is a weakness in Billy's writing or not as lyrically this album is nowhere near as vivid as past Pumpkins works. The themes and sentiments are admirable and do tell a story throughout but just said in the most straight forward ways possible and at times cliche. I mean the line "Babe, don't leave me, please believe me" would've been crucified for being used in a Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber song. I remember reading The Melloncollie booklet on it's own and just loving the vivid imagery and structure of the words. I don't get that here. Anyway, I love the track because it evokes that side of the Pumpkins but it's not so melancholy anymore. It's a pop anthem where the yearning is more vibrant, hopeful and colorful than gloomy.

Violet Rays
stock-footage-violet-rays.jpg

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
My favourite tracks are the first three: Quasar, Panopticon and The Celestials but the whole album is great :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I must say that one thing one can't explain in a review is how hard these songs just cling to your brain and get stuck. This song to me really sticks out a mellow track they really got busy threading some really cool guitar work in here. They mixed in some lighthearted electronica as well. The whole song is uplifting but heavier than you realize before a couple listens. Billy's theme is another love conquers all combined with something elemental (Winter) but by now we know what Billy does and come to expect that. A cool track that is one of the growers on the album. :grinthumb

My Love Is Winter
Skyhole-heart-shape-299x300.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online