The quest for the first EVER heavy rock song...

RockinEd

Reaction score
A lot of people will say that its You Really Got me by the Kinks from 1964 or Summertime Blues by Blue Cheer...
HOWEVER
I have discovered a track called She's Got Eyes That Tell Lies, by Him & The Others that really stepps it up from October 7th 1966.
Can anyone go back any further that The Kinks or does any one have any other gems like She's got eyes?

Heres the tune, the riff is pretty big!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Meh, it's preposterously subjective. I'm sure somebody'd list a bunch of classical songs which are supposed to be the origin of heavy rock. Me, I very seriously wouldn't count You Really Got Me or Summertime Blues as being heavier than any number of Chuck Berry tunes. Everybody had stripped-back hard driving rock n roll songs fromtheir early days. In my eyes rock didn't start getting notably heavy until the later sixties with tracks like Helter Skelter, Communication Breakdown, The Nile Song and then, of course, Sabbath. JMO OC.

That track you posted is pretty effing badass. And it's pretty heavy. But by '66 there are probably some other comparable songs.

Last edited:

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
Here's a few mid-60s nuggets that I really like:

Count Five "Psychotic Reaction" 1966

The Haunted "1-2-5" 1966

The Third Bardo "Five Years Ahead of My Time" 1967

The Sonics "Psycho" 1965 or '66

The Electras "Action Woman " 1967

Last edited:

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Meh, it's preposterously subjective. I'm sure somebody'd list a bunch of classical songs which are supposed to be the origin of heavy rock. Me, I very seriously wouldn't count You Really Got Me or Summertime Blues as being heavier than any number of Chuck Berry tunes. Everybody had stripped-back hard driving rock n roll songs fromtheir early days. In my eyes rock didn't start getting notably heavy until the later sixties with tracks like Helter Skelter, Communication Breakdown, The Nile Song and then, of course, Sabbath. JMO OC.

That track you posted is pretty effing badass. And it's pretty heavy. But by '66 there are probably some other comparable songs.

I like that you mentioned the Nile Song.:grinthumb That was probably as heavy as Pink Floyd got in those days, but I always was stunned as to how heavy it really is. The drums seem to explode out of the speakers!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I like that you mentioned the Nile Song.:grinthumb That was probably as heavy as Pink Floyd got in those days, but I always was stunned as to how heavy it really is. The drums seem to explode out of the speakers!

In my HUMBLE opinion, The Nile Song is the first "grunge" song ever made, hands down, no contest. **** sounds like it could have been a new song in 1993. I'd say it's even grungier than Neil Young's "Last Dance" which I consider to be "The Godfather's" grungiest moment in the early 70s. :D

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Link Wray - Rumble

Supposedly the first use of distortion. Poked holes in the speaker of his amp with a pencil to create a raunchy sound. High tech stuff :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online