"The Official" SouthFM Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
28513_391636513306_33197383306_3806059_2361853_n.jpg

The next track, Eve (See Yahoo link), is one of the heaviest tracks riff wise and is a great chugging track that builds and builds. The songs builds and peaks at the chant Paco starts going into at the 2 min. mark. This is just a cool track that builds momentum well and keeps it throughout the song!

SouthFM-Eve

Rationality Does no good for this
abstract memory still
threatening to drown these sentimental feelings
pushed by selfish reasons and lack of selfless reasons
abstract memories
embracing and dancing with persistence
of abstract reasoning
rational decisions blinded by the insight of abstract reasoning,
perceptions in the way
as the soul becomes water you still seem so content with this
though this deep blue grows calmer, still threatening to drown
open eyes giving into the reason
memories giving into the reason
rational giving into the reason
say good-bye giving into the reason
drown these memories to cleanse this reasoning
so long and good-bye

The track is followed by a short interlude called, Because It Was You (see Yahoo link)! It's a static laced track like a ghostly voice coming out of an old radio. It's just a segue-way but a nice little melody nonetheless!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
n33197383306_916852_8197.jpg

Luis and the tracks that follow are where my favorite part of the album lie. Luis (See Yahoo link) has a great addition using a nice violin solo until the one minute mark. The rest of the song is a heavy soft track with chugging guitars. Paco sincerely moans "I still love you!" in the last third of the track and it's like a ghost calling out to their loved ones. The track ends with a really cool progressive sound of what sounds like slamming doors.

South FM-Luis

little one
lost your mind
what has begun
what will we find
and meet me in the back of your head
then write letters you'll promise to send when I'm dead
haven't seen me lately
something moved far away
maybe when this is over I'll come out and play
stay awake one more hour
until the moon falls asleep
and stay with me over the rainbow
before you wander back home
help me find my way back to the bedroom
cause if I don't
soon I'll lose my mind
cause these are days that are harder now
lingering silent promises
haven't seen through my eyes since i disappeared
tell me I'm crazy
or tell me we both got carried away
I still love you

Letters Never Sent [Circa Drama Kids]
2700698226-1.jpg

Check out track 3 for a cool demo of Luis!

http://southfm.bandcamp.com/album/letters-that-were-never-sent-circa-drama-kids

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I remember getting first turned on to SouthFM by you as they were the first artist ever posted in Musical Thirst way back in May.

I thought this was was intense the very first time I heard it.

I later went looking for their work and the only downloadable song I could find from them was "Dear Claudia" and after hearing that song I simply can't imagine how it wasn't a hit. Lack of exposure or something perhaps. But after listening to some of the other songs from them in here that you posted them I really don't know how they weren't more successful than they were...They sound to me like just the right band that people would have latched onto when they heard them. Again I suppose just not enough people heard them or something. :confused:

Also:

I never knew Paco was such a big guy. He doesn't sound like he would be.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I have a theory on why most of my bands don't succeed Cosmic! Because I like them! :lmao: No but seriously, a lot of what I listen to whether it be a conscious thing or not straddle a line between accessibility and experimental. It becomes lost between two markets of one set thinking that the music is too mainstream, in this case to much pop rock stylings, and the other set would be turned off by the weird interludes, random weird sounds and the weird touches in general. SouthFM got shit for promotion and were lost from the shuffle and dropped after the label MCA was merging with Geffen. They were just touring to support the album and had one single out. They were ripped off IMO.

Also, yeah, Paco is definitely a big dude but I find big singers i.e. Aretha, Meatloaf and John Popper have a great set of pipes! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well...yeah it sounds like they got screwed. But hey, some people simply can't stand anything too poppy. It's uncool afterall. :nw:

And believe me, I love my singers with 400+ pounds of voice too, I just didn't think Paco sounded big. I mean there are people like Aretha, Meat, and Barry White who all have big voices and they actually sound big (and then there are people like Biggie Smalls who actually sounds fat...which is why I hate his voice) but Paco has a different vocal quality and I just assumed he was much smaller man.

Terra812

Reaction score
OK... This is the main reason I joined this forum... to get turned on to new music (new to me that is :grinthumb)

As soon as I saw the photo of Paco I knew I was in for a vocal treat. Big guys can whale. I've listened to four tracks in this thread and am liking everyone so far. Paco has a little John Popper...ish flair going on. Great sounding band!

This is going on my aquire list. Thanks Soot!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
No thank you! Seeing someone comment on my second favorite band is a HUGE plus for me! At one time the band was selling their two c.d.s for 5 bucks each so prices should be very cheap and the material well worth it as far as bands I'd guarantee with a huge stamp of approval. I'm here for new music as well as music never stops evolving and adding up for true music fans! :grinthumb

Terra812

Reaction score
Just listened to the entire Swallowing The Pill album... after one pass some standouts for me are Blue and Grey, Prelude/Vesica Piscis (wish the prelude was 5 times longer) and The Game.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Actually Terra, I like that album even more than Drama Kids though I love them both. If you replaced The Game with Habit then you have my three favorite songs off of the album! I also like Before The World Will End and Surface (Wake Up)! :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Since the gracious visits I've had to this thread I think it'd be nice of me to finish the debut album!

28513_391636448306_33197383306_3806051_479397_n.jpg

Crimson (see Yahoo link for album version) is one of my favorite tracks as it's the most out there track on the album. It's like a nightmare in a carnival! The circus intro with the mad hatter laughter and then it breaks into a heavy waltz! The whole song is sang in a direct path ignoring any elements of a chorus. In plenty of songs music builds up to a climax but this is a whole buildup including vocals! It's a straight climb and it's structure sounds unique to me! I love this song and never heard anything else quite like it!

South FM-Crimson

listen to the children tucked away in their bed
afraid of all the shadows that keep lurking in their head
slowly fading slowly floating away
away from the world away from themselves
escaping the monsters that they'll become
fall asleep underneath the silent blanket of the night
feel the deep calm before the storm
is anybody there?
does anybody care?
this world seems unaware
that we walk in circles sometimes