"The Official" Say Anything Thread

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
say_anything_band_vinyl_decal_sticker__48576.jpg
sayanything.jpg

Say Anything is a band that was propelled by brilliant writing that makes the bright shiny witty pop punk with oftentimes dark manic subject matter. If this style seems a little bipolar well it may have to do with singer and writer of the band Max Bemis who is actually bipolar. Max writes about a lot of his anxieties and issues through this band and it makes for a very personal experience for the listener but played out in a way that is still enjoyable. The band was propelled into a bidding war after a couple self released EPs received a huge buzz!

The EPs were:

Junior Varsity (below), Menorah\Majora, and In Your Dreams
Say-Anything_Junior-Varsity_2000_cover.jpg

They also had a self released full album:

Baseball
0.jpg

Here's a sampling of the early tracks that were done when the band were still in high school. It's rough but it's cool to know that the band started with a spark and really grew musically as they got older! The confessional personal songwriting started here though:

High School Low and Sappy (off of Junior Varsity/In Your Dreams)

Colorblind and Into The Night (off of Baseball)

Walk Through Hell and Transylvanian (off of Menorah/Majora)

Of these tracks there is a mix of peppy and dark tracks! The major label debut "Is A Real Boy" is around the point where they learned to meld these together to form the style they would be loved for! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
ANYTHING.....

oh...I thought this was the drevillaser.jpg "Say Anything" thread....ummm....my bad....

:lmao:

Kidding man...really cool! Listening now.

:cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
That's cool man! Don't let this material scare you off from later material! This is the group in MT that you heard through this track:

Do Better

The material starting out is very amateurish and rough! I like to show ALL of a band to show how they progress though! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Pretty wild...the acoustic stuff was a bit rough in spots but Walk Through Hell is a cool tune.

Do Better is my favorite in the thread at this point. :heheh: :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
They look like nice kids!

Yeah, it's cool they never lost that youthful sound even as adults! It makes their later combine a real adult cynicism and grit with their youthful pop melodies! :grinthumb BTW I noticed I ****ed up and double posted and mixed up songs! Whoops! Fixed now! :rolleyes:

Say+Anything.jpg

The band really took off when they released their first major label album:

Is A Real Boy
B000RW3YOA.jpg

After getting the record deal with Drive Thru Records he put his A-game on and added a lot more musical depth to his bands music. The songwriting was already in place but even that would be stepped up. Max wrote songs using personal experiences at age 20. he wrote stuff that hit so close to the bone of his personal experiences that his girlfriend at the time broke up with him over it! Love wasn't all he wrote about or writes about in general! He writes about in this album and has carried on the themes of his questioning faith (he's Jewish), the hometown he hates (a lot of us have a love/hate relationship with ours), looking for and using drugs (legal and illegal) and even when he writes about love it's not generic. He uses quotes, phrases and real situations in his lyrics. The music became more complex being inspired by elements of math rock and this complemented the more theatrical music and vocal approach of the songs!

fh1b0aEPmqif1ukoBvmEftK2o1_500.jpg

Max Bemis was so obsessed with what he wanted the album to be that he had two breakdowns and one had him put in a mental hospital by a police officer. After being put through rehab by band members and family he's never had another incident since!

Here are the two singles from the album:

Alive With The Glory of Love and Wow, I Can Get Sexual too

Here are the other tracks I enjoy:

The Writhing South, Woe, Every Man Has A Molly and An **** of Critics

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like they were maturing at this point. The one I like from this batch is Every Man Has A Molly :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online